Bike shopping!
Beautiful Sunday here - we are off soon for a get together with MM's family. Now families - I have one sister, no living parents and as my parents were from Scotland I have no aunts/uncles or cousins in New Zealand - just one sister. But MM has a different story - his family is HUGE! He is No: 8 in the line up and there are three more after him! So many nieces/nephews and also great ones as well! Every year they have a get together with a picnic tea and today is the day!
I've just got back from town and caught myself looking at - wait for it - bikes!! A bit mind boggling, I don't want to spend heaps (well I can't especially as we have just got a rather large tax bill!) K-Mart had some around the $200 price range - but not too sure if they would be o.k? Have also looked on Trade Me. The K-Mart bikes looked fine but to be honest I really haven't got a clue where to start - I think I may ask my friend's husband and get some advice, or any advice from anyone out there would be more than welcome!!
The aqua friend that was interested in the Tri still is!! We spoke on Thursday about it - and like me she is not a swimmer, nor a runner. She can at least ride a bike though. We looked at the pool and have decided that one night next week if it's not too busy that we would get in and see how we go. I may try the sort of dog paddle thing and then the belt and just get the feel of it all. Then my neighbour called in for a visit yesterday and said they have a couple of old bikes at their house I can use to practise. LOL - her house is down a really steep hill and then up another steep hill, when I go to collect the bike I will be walking it home!! I don't fancy my chances risking a ride home!
Every now and then something sort of hits me and I take my thoughts back to how I used to be. I had an old friend /neighbour phone the other night. Since we moved into town we don't see that much of them compared to when we were neighbours. The phone call went for ever, it was hard going as she went on how she was tired, then how she was bored, how she hadn't been out for ages etc. She said to me "don't you get bored?" I had to tell her that I don't and then she seemed a bit shocked when I mentioned that most days I'm at the gym or aqua. Really the thought of anything like that is totally foreign to her. I was trying to suggest things she could do to stop being bored that she may like but really was wasting my time. I was thinking to myself later how she had changed - then then thought no, she hasn't changed - I have! The phone call made me think a few years ago I probably would have agreed with her about being tired and sometimes bored. I used to be constantly tired, in the weekends apart from housework my main ''activity'' was reading a book. Now days I'm racing around trying to fit in everything I want to do that I can say I never get bored, and very rarely get tired either!
We had a massive garden day yesterday - so many of our weekends have been at the beach that we have really neglected work around here and it was in dire need of some TLC! I gardened and then started trimming back one of the jasmine plants growing wildly over a trellis, and just kept on going - then it was obvious the plant was holding up the trellis, so I pulled it out, then the next one!! Now MM has to replace the trellis. I then water blasted for almost 2 hours! The decking, the pavers, outdoor furniture all received a blast - I came inside and it was 6.59pm and no dinner even thought of. Have to admit that despite what I said earlier I was a bit tired last night- in fact shattered was more like it - good work out though!
Better go as we are heading off soon - enjoy what's left of this beautiful weekend!
I've just got back from town and caught myself looking at - wait for it - bikes!! A bit mind boggling, I don't want to spend heaps (well I can't especially as we have just got a rather large tax bill!) K-Mart had some around the $200 price range - but not too sure if they would be o.k? Have also looked on Trade Me. The K-Mart bikes looked fine but to be honest I really haven't got a clue where to start - I think I may ask my friend's husband and get some advice, or any advice from anyone out there would be more than welcome!!
The aqua friend that was interested in the Tri still is!! We spoke on Thursday about it - and like me she is not a swimmer, nor a runner. She can at least ride a bike though. We looked at the pool and have decided that one night next week if it's not too busy that we would get in and see how we go. I may try the sort of dog paddle thing and then the belt and just get the feel of it all. Then my neighbour called in for a visit yesterday and said they have a couple of old bikes at their house I can use to practise. LOL - her house is down a really steep hill and then up another steep hill, when I go to collect the bike I will be walking it home!! I don't fancy my chances risking a ride home!
Every now and then something sort of hits me and I take my thoughts back to how I used to be. I had an old friend /neighbour phone the other night. Since we moved into town we don't see that much of them compared to when we were neighbours. The phone call went for ever, it was hard going as she went on how she was tired, then how she was bored, how she hadn't been out for ages etc. She said to me "don't you get bored?" I had to tell her that I don't and then she seemed a bit shocked when I mentioned that most days I'm at the gym or aqua. Really the thought of anything like that is totally foreign to her. I was trying to suggest things she could do to stop being bored that she may like but really was wasting my time. I was thinking to myself later how she had changed - then then thought no, she hasn't changed - I have! The phone call made me think a few years ago I probably would have agreed with her about being tired and sometimes bored. I used to be constantly tired, in the weekends apart from housework my main ''activity'' was reading a book. Now days I'm racing around trying to fit in everything I want to do that I can say I never get bored, and very rarely get tired either!
We had a massive garden day yesterday - so many of our weekends have been at the beach that we have really neglected work around here and it was in dire need of some TLC! I gardened and then started trimming back one of the jasmine plants growing wildly over a trellis, and just kept on going - then it was obvious the plant was holding up the trellis, so I pulled it out, then the next one!! Now MM has to replace the trellis. I then water blasted for almost 2 hours! The decking, the pavers, outdoor furniture all received a blast - I came inside and it was 6.59pm and no dinner even thought of. Have to admit that despite what I said earlier I was a bit tired last night- in fact shattered was more like it - good work out though!
Better go as we are heading off soon - enjoy what's left of this beautiful weekend!
6 comments:
With regard to bikes one of the reasons some bikes are more expensive is because they weight less - made out of lighter metals. Try not to get a really heavy bike if you can avoid it. Also be careful to buy one that "fits" - by that I mean you don't have to stretch too far for the handles etc. I'd go to a bike shop for advice and they usually have good buys available. They will also be able to help if anything goes wrong.
Yay for looking at bikes! Hey if I can do this then anyone can thats for sure! :)
Sounds like you have had a full on weekend - hope the picnic tea went well.
Have a good week
Lynda has some good advice there, make sure it fits you! Nothing worse than having one too small or too big - lightweight is good, but suspension is great too, saves all the hard work on your arms. Bike shop is a great start, even if you dont buy from them they will give you some good advice :) I hear you about just generally being more active these days ... Craig and I were just talking about it today when we were tieing a sea kayak to the roof rack! We seem to be so much more active these days - have a great week :)
I have started up bikeriding as well and went to a bike shop.
I have a road bike not a mountain bike they are abit more expensive but worth it at the end of the day because are so much easier to ride they are lighter and have skinny tyres and just seem to take you down the road where the mountain bikes are hard work
We went to a bike shop when we bought our bikes and got heaps of advice. When you are looking try to buy the bike which has the better gears as they make such a difference to a bike with the cheap gears.
Sounds like you had a busy weekend - yes, it is definitely you who has made the positive change in her life - well done !
Have a great week and take care !
Me
What a fantastic workout all that gardening was. No wonder you were shattered. I am tired just thinking about it LOL.
It is amazing when we think about how much we have changed. It is not all just physical either. Our mental state has altered so much. No wonder some of our old friends / acquaintences don't even really know us anymore.
Hope you had a great weekend :D
Post a Comment