Friday, December 15

Christmas lead up

The days leading up to Christmas always seem a little frantic but I love this time of the year. The tree is up and looking beautiful even if I say so myself, the Christmas cake is having a drizzle of brandy poured over most nights. Even though we are in for a busy mad week leading up to Chrismas we are getting into the Christmas spirit. A bit nostalgic too though as I always remember about the people no longer with us. Nine years on Monday since my mum died, she had cancer and died quite suddenly. I get a grin though thinking of her, we couldn't believe that a couple of days before she died she wanted to go Christmas shopping, so of we went with mum in a wheelchair, and she also wanted to buy herself a new handbag and a lipstick! Sadly she didn't get to use either but I think I have a few of her traits there!! Also my younger sister and I had a catch up on the phone last night and got talking about her husband who was my age. He died very suddenly five years ago. She is incredibly brave but said last night she got just a little weepy when wrapping up the pressies as that was always his job, he had to have them just perfect. We've got a few gaps in our family now but also feel so lucky having our two daughters and their families to share our day with (our son has to work cooking other people's Christmas dinners) I feel lucky having the four little grandsons, they will make Christmas day a lot of fun. Boxing day we head of to the beach, I can't wait! The family are coming over at various times and all will be there for New Year. Also I think we will keep Devin and Fynn on as their mum and dad have to both work. While we are there they have a family day and a lot of the houses put up lights, quiet a few of the homes are on hills so it looks magical, they have a ferris wheel on the beach, loads for the kids to do. I remember last year their faces and eyes lightening up when we drove around looking at the lights and then seeing the fireworks going off on the beach. I have a stack of books, and the shopping has yet to be done for the food and drinks. It's all looking good though. Can't wait!

Strangely enough for me - I also feel in control. I know I'm going to have lapses (that's not really the right word - they are not lapses - they are treats) and I'm going to enjoy Christmas and the holidays but gone are the days of eating left over pavlova for breakfast (I can remember doing that one Boxing Day and it didn't stop there!).

Kids can be embarrassing! Devin quite often coaxes me to take him out for a fluffy on one of the days I do the school pick up. We sat there the other day and he started eying up these two elderly ladies sitting next to me, then he gets this far away look in his eyes and you know he is summing something up - omg - I was thinking what is he going to come out with - and he did...... in a loud voice (irish whisper) he said to me "you are a nana cos you've got brown hair, when you get white hair like those ladies will you be a grandma?" I could hear them giggle a bit. Ah but what he doesn't know is thanks to my hairdresser I don't really know what colour hair I have now!

Off to aqua and it should be perfect today - sun block and sun glasses will be needed:) Tonight we have my daughter's brother-in-law and partner (the English couple) coming for dinner and my two daughters have invited them selves leaving their men at home baby sitting! The partner is a chef and cooked us a beautiful meal - I can't compete with that so I opted for a trad kiwi meal, jazzed up a bit - roast lamb topped with mint jelly garlic, little chunky roast veg, gourmet baby potatoes and an idea I saw in a mag, roast vine tomatoes with asparagus, topped with a little butter and garlic and ground pepper (hope they taste as good as they look!). Dessert is pavlova with fresh berries and it is cooking away now. A couple of bottles of Sauvignon blanc to be chilled - should be all good.

Loads to do so I better get moving. Have a lovely weekend:)

Isn't this weather great!! Summer is on it's way!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All your plans sound divine! Lucky you having all your kids for the holidays, we are all over the place.... Sorry I missed aqua, it would have been so nice today, but the time of month ruled that out for me... I flood nowdays! Won't see you tomorrow either, we off to wellington. So hope to see you on Monday at aqua, have a lovely weekend. :+)

Karen said...

Wow your dinner last night sounded amazing! And I am sure it tasted as good as it sounded! :)
LOL @ Devin's comment about your hair! :)
Have a great weekend.