Tuesday, December 11

Decluttering and busy, busy!

This post is in two - the first half is life in general - and the second half, (under the Declutter heading) well I'm not sure how I'm feeling here, sorry if it's a bit down!

What a mad time of the year! Over the past week we've had two little grandsons birthdays (Jordyn now a happy school boy) and Casey is now 3! We wanted to get to the beach before Christmas, one reason being so I could check out what we had over there so I could make a list of what we need for our holiday, (as we rent it out we have a lockable cupboard with our own supplies in it). Weekends have been out for a visit because of other functions and birthday parties for grandkids, so we decided to head away Sunday night and have a couple of days of work. We came home again this afternoon. Feeling very organised as now have a list of what we need and I can go and get the non perishable items before the supermarkets go mad before Christmas!

This weekend is looking a bit busy. Was meant to have three of the grandsons for a sleep over (as their parents have a party on,) then we ended up getting invited to the same party. Then while away our friends left us a message and they are down from C0romandel and want to know if we have a bed for them Sat night....they have a local wedding and it finishes in the afternoon, we will work around it as they are really good friends and looking forward to catching up. Even if we don't see them all year, or longer, we just click together once more. Of all places we met for the first time in the recovery section of the local maternity ward over 32 years ago! Found we had so much in common, also our husbands do as well and it's gone from there. So no grandkids this weekend (not enough beds) no party - instead we will have a relaxing BBQ with our friends:-)

Decluttering
I hadn't planned to do a declutter last weekend but one job led to another and before I knew it I had decluttered every drawer in our bedroom, also had a ruthless cleanout of the wardrobe. Felt great afterwards - until.......
one thing and I really let it get to me. In the almost 5 years since I started WW I have kept every leaflet, book etc that was handed out. Most of these ended up in a shoe box, which overflowed, then a second shoe box and then quite a few were in one of my drawers. I piled them all up on the bed. I realised I had been going to the meetings, bringing these handouts home for future reference and never, ever got them out again. Then I found it or should I say them, the last couple of books with my records in. I couldn't believe when I looked that week after week my weight was recorded (16 weeks in total I think, this was as I neared goal, starting weight was around 72 and at the end of the book it was much the same, up and down I went for 16 weeks and achieved - zilch!! The second book was almost identical - up and down! 100 grams of and then on again....... It seems all such a waste of time and effort - to achieve what really was nothing! Why did I put myself through that week after week? Why am I still doing it???? Why can't I get to goal? (Obviously not trying hard enough) I've been maintaining now for about three years!!! Now if I read someone else writing this I would think - get over it, you are close - do the last few kilos matter? Maybe accept it!! I knew that over this time I really tried and it was depressing going through those books, so much that for the next couple of days while at the beach (despite my Christmas goals) I ate whatever- no excuse!! Tracking - out the window!!!! Even picked up the chocolate that came with my (trim) cappucino yesterday . I'm not a happy woman at the moment. Don't know why I let it get to me so much. I'm hovering around 25 kilos lighter than my heaviest - yet I looking at the WW handouts I felt I had failed! I took the declutter seriously here and ended up burning them all!! The hard part was for me to realise that for the past three years I've started the new year of by thinking that this would be the year I would get to goal. I know a lot of you have a lot to achieve and this may sound pathetic, but it's just how I'm feeling at the moment. Dangerous time of the year to start feeling like this and not caring - so today, have been back on track!

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Anne - it does not matter a jot if you have not "reached goal"... it is not what is important. You have reached a weight where you seem comfortable and look great. So what if some book says you should weight less. What's important is that you don't gain the weight back. You are a success and should not spend years beating yourself up for not losing more :) Life is too short.

Zanna said...

I'm with Lynda. But I understand exactly how you feel - I had 9 weeks between coming back from our US trip and leaving for NZ and I was going to lose the couple of kilos I put on plus some more. Well I lost 1.5 of them but was still 1.5 up from when I left for US (which in turn was also up a kilo from my lightest this year). If I think too hard about it I'd get really pixxed of with myself but I'm a bottle half full person so have chosen to focus on the fact that I'm still 5kgs lighter than at the start of this year - I feel good (yes admit I'd feel even better if I lost another few and I'm trying to shift another couple before I leave for Scotland) but I think we need to keep in mind that we've managed to hold steady -(you steadier than me) and that's a HUGE achievement. So be gentle with yourself - keep doing what you've been doing and that will see you through Christmas nicely and who knows new year - new ideas you might decide to do what's necessary - but does it really matter if you don't?
Love Z xx

Julie's Journey said...

Important sentence "25 kilos lighter" - this is an incredible achievement - always remember that. I'm afraid I too have years of WW booklets and what you have written has made me decide to cull it and just keep the menus. Another project for the holidays. Have a wonderful relaxing weekend with your friends.