Of to buy a lettuce...................
Comments taken on board - thanks!! They reminded myself to look at the big picture and how I've done. Eating has been back to normal the past couple of days, I'm ready to face up to my Christmas goals and aiming for a maintain (or close) over the next few weeks!
Of to buy a lettuce..... whenever this is said in our house, we grin. This time in two weeks we will be heading over to the beach house for our holiday. We have been going on and of to this beach for years. It's quite remote and about 50 minutes from the nearest town. The very first time was probably about 20 years ago on a camping holiday with Peter's brother and his wife and their kids (who are also good friends as well as family. ) The first afternoon after getting the camp sites organised we decided a BBQ was our meal that night, and the four of us told the kids we were popping into the local shop to buy a lettuce...... We left our kids with their older cousins and of we went.
We got there and found the shop didn't sell any fresh produce such as a lettuce - someone remembered seeing another shop about 10 minutes back towards town, so we jumped in the car and of we went - telling the kids - we are of to buy a lettuce...
We found the shop that someone thought they saw - was in fact not a shop
but a pub
with a beer garden
perfect
so we sat there in the afternoon sun having a refreshing shandy
the kids were taken care by their cousins back at the motor camp....
The next day we told the kids we're of to buy a lettuce again
Back to the pub - for another shandy
This became a bit of a habit - and after a few days the kids worked out there were no lettuces being purchased and they wanted to come with us for a ride! There went our peaceful sessions in the beer garden. Both families still laugh whenever this expression is used.
This year - the shop still doesn't sell lettuces (or anything fresh!)- but I'm prepared!! I have fresh lettuces growing. My sister gave me this idea as people grow lettuces like this where she goes camping. So I tried it - one bag of potting mix and some lettuce plants and I have six beauties coming on ready for our holiday this year. The bag, potting mix and lettuces will all go to the beach with us. No need to go to buy a lettuce!
Only problem is that I think they will be more than ready before our holiday.......
7 comments:
Changed my profile pic for ya :)
Love the lettuce idea.
I know exactly what you mean about decluttering, I also have all my ww stuff (from 2002) but after reading your post today (I feel the same when I look at all of mine) I think I will chuck it all away.
Ha, ha. That must be the newer version of "going to see a man about buying a dog"
But brilliant idea with the lettuce.
When we used to camp every February at Kiama, the men would tell us that they were going to buy ice for the esky and head for the local pub. It was a sad day for them when the garage "they bought the ice from" was closed. We dont camp anymore but stay in luxury and now everyone goes to the pub. Love the lettuces too!
I never thought to just buy the potting mix and cut a whole in the bag. Hmm
great idea about the lettuces ... pity you cant freeze the little buggers eh? can anyone say Lettuce Soup? LMAO
I am just dropping by via Rachel's blog.
I am feeeling so guilty with all of the goodies all of my students are bringing me daily and all that I am eating! Cookies cookies, pecan pie and chocolate. OMG. I'll gain all of the weight you plan on staying away from....
Post a Comment