Saturday, May 13

All dressed up and nowhere to go...

All dressed up and…..

This could only happen to us!! Sometimes I feel life is a bit like a not so very funny sit-com at times. If you want a bit of a giggle, sit down pull up a chair and read on…

We have two parties this weekend – both friends having quite different milestone celebrations. The invites have been sitting on the cork board in the office since we got them and it was a bit of a relief that they were on separate nights.

The first was last night, so we got dressed up, me taking a lot of care as a lot of the people going there I wouldn’t have seen for a few years, and now I do feel a lot better with how I look. So I felt great. We were running just a little late and pulled up about 30 minutes after the invite said. Not many cars around the house I thought – we knocked on the door. Our friend flung open the door and welcomed us in laughing away saying
Friend: “Come in – but the party is tomorrow night!”
Me: thinking – very funny and looked in the room for the others – no-one there!!!!!
“You’re joking!! Our invite said the 12th” (well I think it did?? Did it?)
Friend: “The birthday is today, party tomorrow, we grabbing takeaways and are having a drink so stay. I hope I didn’t put the wrong date on your invite! – We’ll see you again tomorrow night for the party!”
We had to say ‘um – we can’t, we have another one to go to’

It was a lovely, funny night, and they are the type of couple who took it in their stride. But I can tell you I was starting to wonder if I really was losing the plot!!

On the way home, MM said (jokingly) "I think that if this was the onset of you having Alzheimer’s, it's a lot of fun and I'm enjoying it as who knows what life was going to throw at us!

I replied – “well you saw the invite, did you look at the date??”

“No – that’s your job to organize me!” was the reply.

So a friendly little domestic battle on the way home, we arrived home I leapt out of the car, into the office and grabbed the invitation. It read 6.00pm – 12th May. The RSVP was for the 13th April, transposed dates!!! I was right - no Alzheimers here!!

We got into bed and I just cracked up laughing thinking of the next party (tongiht we hope) saying G’s birthday is today, what if they got their invite date wrong too!

The birthday guy last night has phoned this morning and we all agreed what an enjoyable night and catch up we had. Sometimes life isn’t just going to be what you expect, well not here anyway! Must say I was pleased it wasn’t me that got it wrong.

LOL - We’ve gone from having Mystery guests to being Unexpected ones!!

Two little highlights I have to share. I had a pair of arms flung around me and these big brown eyes looked into mine and he said “You are a cutie!” OK It was Fynn, our curly red haired grandson age 3 years – I think someone has said those words to him and he was repeating them - but he made me melt and grin!

And this morning MM said that I looked really great last night, a HUGE compliment from him. So I accepted it and said thanks! Then he asked had I been to aqua yesterday? Yeeeessss I answered wondering what was coming next. Yep I could tell he said – your hair looks great!! Cheeky man!

Day two tracking:

Points: 22 (saved some for night and not really too bad considering)
Water: Probably over 3 litres
Steps: 7570 – getting better
Exercise: Gym, aqua aerobics

The day went well considering the dinner out; I made a huge attempt to save some points for night time. I managed to say no to the mini spring rolls and cheese cake that followed the takeaways. I did take it on board the hint about the veges and some Thai food has a lot of those, so I had a small serve of chicken, veges and cashews, (eating mostly veges, and trying not to leave the cashews behind) a small serve of rice and a couple of small chicken drumsticks that our friend had cooked up for tonight. Two glasses of wine and I was pleasantly full.

I can’t believe how much this is helping writing it all down!! Also your hints and comments – thanks all.

Summary so far this week after Day 2:
Points so far: 41.5
Points left: 98.5
Steps: 13410 – could improve here!
Exercise: 1 Aqua deep, 1 Aqua aerobics and 1 gym session

8 comments:

Kate said...

Hehe how funny!! Hope the party goes well tonight!

Well done on all your hard work! And yay for compliments!

Helena said...

lmao you guys are hillarious! Never a dull moment with you lot around eh? Actually ... we have some friends similar to that ... LOL Glad the tracking is working for you again, I'm taking a page from your book!

Pam said...

I enjoyed your story too. I suppose at least turning up on the wrong night stopped you being exposed to the party food!

Karen said...

hehehe Like the others have said - theres never a dull moment in your place :)
Have a good week :)

Sue said...

You'd be the best-dressed takeaway eaters too!

Felicity said...

I enjoyed the story Ann sorry your night wasn't as u expected. Have updated my holiday journal at last.

Suzy said...

Does sound like a movie plot! Glad it wasn't your mind playing tricks though.
Well done for resisting cashews! They are SO yummy.

Margaret said...

Fantastic. You guys are living proof that having the plans all put astray doesn't mean the end of the world. You did so well at both events and I think have got a really good handle on balancing the meals you don't control yourself. Well done Anne.

I hope you have another fantastic week and that you get loads more hugs from your gorgeous grandchildren :D