Feeling sad
Just received the very sad news that my cousin in Scotland passed away quite suddenly with a brain tumour. Both my parents and all their families are from Scotland, which leaves my sister and me as the only two New Zealand members of the family. Times like this I just feel so distant and helpless. I spent time overseas when I was 19 to 21 and this included time meeting up for the first time a whole pile of Scottish relations. The cousin that has just passed away was the same age as me and a lot of my memories of him seemed to involve sitting in pubs somewhere. I will always remember him as a 20ish year old, a lot of fun with a wicked sense of humour. He (along with the other family) went out of his way to make sure my friend and I had a great time. We did and those memories will always be there. I really feel for his wife and two daughters, also his younger sister and brother and their families. The news was not only sad but also a great shock as we didn’t know he was even ill. Just wish I could be there. The strange and very sad thing living in different country is that life just seems to go on, no funeral to go, no-one to comfort, no-one I know here have even knows him. My sister does know him but never met him.
Not going to update any of my tracking /exercise at this stage, but going o.k.
12 comments:
*hugs* and deepest sympathy to you Anne and your family in this sudden and sad loss of your cousin.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Sending you a big hug. It must be worse being so far away. Maybe you and your sister could have your own little 'service' for him?
I hope all the happy memories of your times together get you through this time of sadness Anne.
That is such sad news. Cousins never sound like 'close' relatives, but they are so special when you are growing up, and that feeling never really leaves you.
Hugs, xx
Thinking of you Anne....
Lots of hugs. That is very sad for you and really unfair that someone dies of tumour. Your thoughts will be sad for you but as others have said try to remember th e good memories you have.
So sorry to hear the bad news, I am thinking of you in this sad time.
Oh Anne *hugs*. Living so far away can definitely be a good thing in terms of independance and new beginnings, but when family is sick it really brings home how far away we are.
I am sure that he knows how much you care and how much you wish you can be with the rest of the family at this time. xx
So sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure the family overseas know that you would be there if you could be; I like Sue's idea of a private service in NZ.
Sorry to hear about your cousin. I like Sues idea, it would give you a chance to talk about him & remember the good times.
Distance makes time like this feel even further apart sorry for your loss. Thinkin of you.
Feeling for you Anne and I well relate to the distance and helplessness - over the 23 years I've been in Oz it's happened to me a few times - and it never gets any easier. On the upside, your memories aren't tinged with any of his recent illness or pain - they're just beautiful happy memories of someone you had lots of fun with.
Take care
Z
Post a Comment