Wednesday, August 2

Discipline - or lack of

When I was out in the work force, I feel I gave my employers 100% (and at times more!) Then the change came to working from home for MM. The early days were quiet and I could go out quite a bit, catch up on friends, housework and generally had a lot of free time on my hands. Nowdays work is a lot busier, but I've come to realise that I'm not treating this as a "real'' job. I know I need to be disciplined but I haven't been, I'm lacking in that department. I know that I haven't been putting in the effort as I would have when out in the work force. It's very easy with no boss looking over your shoulder to play the odd card game, check out blogs and waste a bit of time here and there. That has to change, (I will still read blogs, but this will be when I stop for a drink) it really has to change especially now I have made the decision to study, also I still want to make sure I still have the time to aqua somewhere during the day, and still meet up with friends. So I need to get myself sorted and I'm on the way just having spent almost two full on days getting on top of the pile of paperwork, have caught up work I've been ignoring, all those horrible little jobs, completed month end, bank recs done, so I'm feeling really pleased with myself. I'm intending to keep this up!! About time I gave MM and our business 100% as well, then I should also have time for me when I need it.

The discipline also comes into my eating and exercising but I've been doing o.k. with that for the past few days. Just keep on with the thought of one day at a time and it seems to be working.

The holiday - well just as well it wasn't us that won a ticket to anywhere in the world as we can't seem to make a reasonably simple decision of where to go for a week's break. The more we talk about the more options we come up with - so far
Do we go to Melbourne to catch up with my friend also MM's sister?
MM has a brother down in the South Island who has a milestone birthday later this year, we could also catch up with our son while there.
Drive on up the North Island, ending up in Whitianga visiting some other close friends.

or
Rarotonga - which when looking into it means a flight to Auckland so not as good a deal as we thought originally, also the flights arrive there at 1.00am and leave again at 4.00am to come home.
Another Pacific Island - maybe Fiji where we could fly from here (but the last trip we had a couple of years ago was to Fiji)

The other thing is that it is quite often cheaper to take an overseas break than fly down south. I also feel a little selfish as although I would dearly love to catch up with friends and family, holidays are a luxury to us, (money and more imporant time) I feel it would be better to just be together without worrying about fitting in with others. If we had three to four weeks annual leave a year we could spread ourselves around but we don't!

As I said just as well it wasn't us winning the tickets, the deal would expire before we came up with a decision.... Tonight we talk (again)

3 comments:

Suzy said...

Well done for getting on top of your work situation.

I say go for a holiday just for yourselves for most of the time. I am sure you both work very hard really and it will be a time to catch up with each other without thinking of work or anything else.

Kate said...

Good on you for all your decisions about work etc. It feels good to make a comittment like that.

Good luck for deciding about your holiday (whoops, I nearly wrote honeymoon!) - I'm sure wherever you go you'll have a great time, and hopefully no major mishaps!!

Margaret said...

Working for yourself is always a testing time in regards to discipline. I sit here sometimes and think of all the wonderful things I could be doing if I was working at home. Putting loads of wash on, hanging them up, running the dishwasher. And of course, almost guilt free blogging. But as you say this catches up and the workload does suffer. I admire your comittment and your change of directions lately. Studying again really suits you :D