What if?
I read a blog the other day that got me thinking - it went along the lines of if you were told today that you would never lose another ounce of weight again, that this was it, the size you were going to be for the rest of your life, how would you live your life differently? To start with I thought maybe this isn't really relevant for me as I have probably lost the bulk of what I set out to do - then I thought hang on- well what if? What if this was how I would always be, would I act differently? My answer NO! Well not much. If I was to stay this weight I would carry on with the lifestyle I have now (LOL - most of the time)
I would continue to do my five or so sessions each week of aqua jogging/aerobics - why? Because I love the freedom the water gives me to move, the mobility that my once achy body has now, seeing evidence of toner muscles, I like the people I meet, the fact it has increased my fitness so that I can now walk the hill by our house without stopping, (used to have to stop about 5 times!) I feel great after each session.
I would carry on with the same type of food I've learned to enjoy - why? Because I love the taste of fresh food, the variety of food I can experience, how it makes me feel - well just better! A couple of days of not so good eating, I feel bloated - and just yuck. I used to work in an office for a bakery and lunches for us all was either pies, croissants, savouries or fresh bread - every day! Then home to fill up on cheese and crackers before dinner - and dinner, well we won't go there... Can't imagine going back to eating like that. Now if I was told I could choose absolutely anything that I would like for lunch, my choice would be sushi. I love it, always so fresh and tasty. Almost a craving. Dinners now days, loads of variety, also we quite often have a treat of fresh salmon fillet - love it too, tasty and just melts in your mouth! I know that feeding my body with fresh, nourishing food makes me feel so much better than I used to feel. I no longer get so tired that I could nod of if I sat down in the afternoon. I have energy and feel great. Don't go thinking I've got a huge halo, because there are still some foods that are a bit of a downfall for me, but I've recognised that and know I can but I also know when to stop.
I would still go to the WW meeting I help at - why? I get a buzz out of seeing people get excited when they are successful, I can sympathise with the not so happy ones that didn't get the result they wanted. I enjoy the success stories, - there are some amazing people out there that have achieved and changed so much. Really inspiring.
I would still check out labels on new foods I try (not obsessive here) - why? Health reasons mainly, I know my body doesn't need sodium high foods, low sat fat/low sugar is what I'm after. The huge benefit here to me has been once on almost 100mg of medication for high blood pressure, plus a direutic (how do you spell that??) The direutic is a thing of the past and the medication is now down to 23mg!
The only thing I came up with that I would change - would be throw away my damn pedometer and only go for walks when I wanted and enjoy them - rather than trying to get up to 10,000 steps!
So by thinking if this was it for me - I know now I wouldn't go back to my old habits. Great feeling!
Had a bit of a break from routine today, went to the pool for my usual session of aqua, my daughters arrived with the grandsons so spent another couple of hours there, enjoying watching them playing, I spend some time with Devin in the deeper pool as well. So catch up time now!
6 comments:
Great post Anne! I don't think I'd change much in my life either, I am really happy too! And I wouldn't go and buy a new pedometer... maybe I still won't !
Yay, that's fantastic! That shows you've made a true lifestyle change. Well done :-)
Thanks for giving me something to think about Anne - you certainly have given the question some thought haven't you.
Trying to get those steps in is quite a challenge isn't it.
Cathy
What a great thought provoking post - thank you for making me think !!!
Have a great day and take care.
Me
mmmmmm definetly got me a thinking too Anne....great post.
Have a great week...
Jen
Yep, I agree with everything you said. I also love that it might have taken years to get it into my head but finally I am ENJOYING fresh low fat foods not because I have to eat them but because I want to eat them.......MAJOR SUSHI FAN.
Post a Comment