Sunday, January 7

Back - but still in holiday mode!








HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Here's some of photos from our holiday - not sure how to move them around on the blog - so they will have to stay put! On one of our walks we come across this seat which over looks the gap out to sea. Such a peaceful spot to sit - I love it here! Love the photo of Devin too, he's all dimples and a cheesy grin!

The last thing I wanted to do today was pack up and come home. But all good things come to an end - including holidays. Our break at the beach was perfect and we are home again, I want to say home and refreshed, ready for another year, but really still in holiday mode and the last thing I want to think about is work. Seems ages since I last posted. Christmas went well, both our daughters and families were here also our daughters brother in law and partner who have moved over from the UK. It was a lovely relaxing day (after the rather frantic work the day before). The grandsons were all very excited and just full of Christmas, I love the age they are - it's magical seeing their faces. (We are still getting the odd version of Jingle Bells been sung to us.) We missed having our son home but was good to have him home earlier for a visit.

The next day we headed to the beach. We took Devin and Fynn with us as their Mum and Dad worked the days between Christmas and New Year. Poor Fynn was a little home sick, the first night I tucked him in and he looked up with tears in his eyes and asked ''is this forever?" The weather was a real mixture, I think most of NZ was the same. We had the fire going for a couple of nights! Then when the sun came out it was perfect. The rest of the family (also the two UK guys) arrived over before New Year for a few days, so we had a house full. Lots of fun though and New Years Eve we had our niece, her family and some friends also visit. Our kids had Sing Star which was a bit of entertainment. I'm not sure where our girls got their voices from - wasn't from me that's for sure! We kept Devin on after his parents went home. At six now he's no trouble at all and also a lot of fun. I thought it was quite grown up of him as the day before we left he tided his room and packed his bag without being told.

Over the week our niece's husband had a good catch of fish and they had us for a BBQ - which also included a couple of craysfish dishes. Just as well as Peter wasn't so lucky with his fishing efforts!

When we bought our section to build the bach it was on top of a really steep hill. I remember thinking that I could never walk the hill and even to get to the shop would mean a trip in the car. Didn't want to admit to anyone my thoughts that I couldn't walk up a hill. This year I proved that I've made huge changes! I walked that hill every day, sometimes two or three times!! Also decided to keep a pedometer on and over the break I recorded my steps ( I figured if I was going to eat and drink more than usual I had to move more than usual!)

Day 1 - 12635
Day 2 - 12808
Day 3 - 14501
Day 4 - 13931
Day 5 - 10752
Day 6 - 7286
Day 7 - 4974 (it poured down all day)
Day 8 - 10462
Day 9 - 17063!!
Day 10 - 10826
Day 11 - 13761

A total of 128999 - averaging out to 11727 a day. Not bad for a former couch pototo!

So I was pretty pleased with myself with the walks - and I loved doing them! It was great to be able to keep up with everyone and it made me realise how much I've changed as I know it would have been torture before. Peter also commented to me that a few years ago there is no way I would have done this. Also no calf muscle pain at all! The orthotics in my shoes are a huge help.
I'm going to weigh in tomorrow morning. Not sure what the result will be.... I had a few over indulgences, quite a few if I get thinking back - the past couple of weeks have been pretty relaxed both with food and drink but still moderate when comparing with previous years. I finally feel I know when to stop and that I don't have to keep eating just because it's there.

Start of another year for me - and I'm feeling really motivated to make it a good one. No great resolutions but definately more exercise is planned.
Want to catch up on some blogs and see what you've all been up to! I took the laptop away but forgot the charger so it stayed packed up.









7 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like such a lovely holiday and christmas season. And wow @ your steps - well done :-)

Zanna said...

Glad you had such a good holiday - must have been so much with the grandchildren there. My two are in Scotland for a month visiting my mum, and sister and brother, so I'm really missing them - but oly about ten days till they're back again. Congratulations on the steps - that average is fantastic! I'm wearing my pedometer again and have managed to average just over 9,000 for the past six days.

Zanna said...

missed a word there - should read so much fun!

Rachel said...

Welcome home, it sounds like you and your family had a fantastic time........don't ya just love the christmas period!

Seeing as i got a new pedometer for Christmas I also have been recording my steps and will post soon but it is nothing compared to you......excellent work!

Sue said...

What a lovely holiday you've had. Full of relaxation, family and good times - just the way it should be. Well done on the steps, too!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on beating the hill multiple times.

Cheers, Judi in San Diego

Gabby said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful break! don't you just love holidays. Woohoo on your steps! that was awesome. I wear my pedometer daily (feel really naked without it now). it is amazing how that little innate object can get you going. lol.