Tuesday, June 12

Home

I've been busy and no chance to update. But here I am! Friday we spent the entire day at a Resource consent meeting regarding the proposed subdivision opposite our farm. Justice? Not really sure what you would call it, but that word doesn't spring to mind. I feel I want to say why where we live is important to me and why I don't want the proposed changes. We live on a lifestyle block of 40 acres within the city boundary. I can be in the centre of town within 5-10 minutes, but out here we have all the peace of being deep in the country. Funny though because when Peter found this block of land there was no way I wanted to live here!
Love this window seat when the sun streams in and I have a nice big fat book to read - doesn't happen often though:-(

This house wasn't here when we bought - it was a little cottage that was advertised as needing some TLC!! Beware when a real estate says those words......

We always wanted a home in the country but as our kids got to be teenagers we ended up moving from a village into town. We had just built out dream house, I loved it. One year later as the grounds were all established and we were nicely settled in, Peter came in and said we had to go for a drive to see this property he had found! Of we went, the road was narrow and out we went up and down the hills. We veered of and hit a driveway, the weeds and overgrowth were brushing against our vehicle. You could hardly see down the driveway for weeds. Down the driveway we went and there was this little house. As I said the real estate said this property needed TLC! Don't believe it when they tell you that!! They really mean it needs a bomb under it! We went in the house which had been vacant for years. Duck shooters had shot out windows and vandalised it further. The fireplace looked like it was too heavy for the floor and had fallen through it! Seriously! The floors were up and down. The kitchen - mmm well it would be more hygienic to cook out in the paddock. It had a wooden bench - no cupboards and a a couple of cup hooks. The bathroom - well it looked like a murder scene but I think it was the hunters using the bath to maybe clean whatever they had shot! Peter had that look in his eyes - he said we could live in here until we had money to rebuild! I said - no way!! We talked divorce at this stage! When we did our sums though because the property was so run down and going cheap I could see that he was right, it was a bargain BUT I still didn't want to move into that house. Our kids came to see what we were looking at. Rachel our daughter just shook her head and said "OMG you are the Adams family!" They thought we were mad. I thought we were mad too!! Friends finally convinced Peter the house was not fixable - even short term. First of all we had to sell the house in town. Maybe it won't sell, fingers crossed!! It did.... we were owners of a small very run down farm. We moved into a rented house. The day we took ownership, a couple of friends arrived and started pulling of the roof! To stop Peter with his ideas of fixing it!! Phew - we won't have to move in. Everyone turned up to help with getting the house (that needed just a little TLC) pulled to the ground. We were drawing up plans for a new house, not as big or roomy as the one we had moved from, but we figured our kids were starting to move on and we didn't need as much room. (Didn't think that they come back with partners to visit, then grandkids) We still had two living areas, back down to three bedrooms. Once we started on this I could say to Peter that he was right, I just didn't have the vision he had about the future plan. Not often I admit I'm wrong but I was here.



Deb our daughter was married under these oak trees. This was when me in a mad moment or two decided I could cater for a wedding. I did it! It was perfect BUT never again.....

The deer are on the neighbours farm, LOL one of the grand kids thought they were called Rain Horses instead of reindeer!

Our views are amazing, sometimes we tend to take them for granted. (No view photos here really but will give you an idea) We are on a hill, the farm slopes down and has a creek with willows going through it. Two huge oak trees in the yard, then we look onto the ranges. (still have the weeds though!) We've built for the view and have a conservatory window in the kitchen and a window seat overlooking the farm. As I'm sitting here the only sounds I can hear are a few birds, no traffic sounds at all. From our driveway we can walk down the hill to a bridge, the kids love this when the creek is running and also love throwing stones in it. LOL they think there are trolls under the bridge! From the road you wouldn't even know our house was here, it's so peaceful, yet we have all the benefits of town. There are only two houses on our side of the road and four opposite us. The nearest neighbour would be about 500 metres away. We all get on well socially which we found hard when all this is happening. The thought of twelve extra houses, the extra traffic, people - it just doesn't appeal. So that is why we spent Friday sitting at the meeting, sad though but I think it will go ahead!
What else -Saturday met up with Chris H, Chris D, Janene and Jorja (who is growing up fast). Saturday night we had a friends birthday to go to. Sunday Peter went out for a helicopter ride (was his birthday present from the kids) We went to watch him, the guys out there were great with the grandkids asking them if they wanted to sit in the helicopters. They loved it. LOL they waved Peter of and Jordyn 4, asked - will he come back? OMG we hope so! It was freezing so we raced back into the airport to have coffees. Monday - back into my routine, gym and aqua, feels good. Today - office work and aqua tonight.
Food and exercise - going ok, a couple of smallish hiccups but really going well. Must drink more water though.
Off to do some work. It's so peaceful here, just me and Toby the dog- I don't want neighbours.

8 comments:

Lyn said...

Awww how sad that you may lose your countryness. sounds like you have an amazing place there!!

Chris H said...

Next time Stew and I move we are going to do exactly what you did, but make sure we can't be built out hopefully! You have an adorable home, can't wait to visit.... with Izzy, who thinks she's pregnant! Ha ha ha.

Christine said...

My goodness, so beautiful! I would have wanted to get married in that yard too! Thanks for stopping by my blog - you take care and I'll be stopping by again! :)

Jules said...

What a divine setting. I am extremely green with envy!!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Absolute heaven... what a gorgeous place...
Sad to have to deal with the subdivision... it is happening everywhere here too....

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous property and lovely memories with your daughter getting married under that beautiful Oak tree.

I can see why you don't want all those extra houses around and its such a pity that you spent all day at the meeting and they are going to go ahead with it anyway.

Did Peter enjoy his helicopter ride? I don't think that would be my cup of tea.

**Mellisa** said...

WOW!! That is a beautifull piece of land Anne..... Is that what green grass looks like .... I nearly forgot!! *lol*
We only have 5 acres but have views to die for too.... I will post some for you guys when the house is built!!.... IF IT EVER HAPPENS!! ...lol

meggie said...

Oh Anne, I loved reading about your beautiful home- it sounds exactly like my dream home!!
Are you in the North or the South?
It all makes me homesick, so to see your lovely photos!