Monday, June 18

Dentist....and a can of worms and some $$$$

The trip to the dentist.... - all done! But it opened a can of worms. Bit of a boring post but looks like an expensive exercise ahead. If you aren't into dentist visits just don't go any further....

I'm looking at a mini dental makeover!! It wasn't a big chip of tooth that broke so the filling went smoothly with no injection. But looking back to my childhood I'm bloody sure the school dental nurses used to practise on people in my age group when we were kids. I'm not alone with this thinking either!! My front teeth are fine and I haven't had a filling in the back for years and years, but from a young age these ''nurses'' gave most of us as kids quite large fillings, we used to call the school dental clinic THE MURDER HOUSE!! I have memories of lying back in the chair looking (and counting) the holes in the tiles on the ceiling, wishing I was anywhere but there!! They would drill for what seemed hours!! I know my teeth weren't bad as I've said they've hardly had a filling since, have really had only touching up what was done when I was a kid. The dentist today commented the problem today wasn't decay but because the tooth had a huge filling and it was just one of those things.

Only major problem I've ever had since school days was an abscess that a dentist couldn't originally find so they sent me of to an ear/nose and throat specialist (they thought it was a sinus problem) , more x-rays and an abscess was found, then the root canal thing which didn't work, then they cut into the gum trying to drain the area.... on and on - dollar after dollar in the end years later still with my upper gum inflaming from time to time, one funny feeling tooth I said - take it out!! So now a gap towards towards the back of my mouth. After today's visit and a talk with the lovely very gentle dentist (a woman by the way!) I'm now thinking at getting porcelain crowns on some of my upper back teeth (one is super sensitive) the crowns would cover the fillings and also stop the sensitivity - and they can also do one over the gap (which maybe nobody sees but me) - only problem they are approx $1400 each!!

I've just tried to explain to Peter what I want done - until today I didn't even realise that this was an option! He was OK about it, but said that we may have to cancel our holiday - ha ha!! ''ah but my appointment to look into the options for this is after our holiday!!" This sort of gets me thinking about weight loss and how it has changed how I feel about me.- I would have just accepted that these over filled teeth are what I had - now I'm thinking not only how how can I help them but how can I make them look better? The gap towards the back can be filled in with a cap. I sound a little bit like that ad - because I'm worth it! Would settle for a total of 4 caps - one side first then the other so not altogther - maybe I can pay them of?? Maybe I will forget until the next little hiccup with my teeth .....

12 comments:

Rachel said...

I just don't know how dentists can justify the prices they charge for teeth? I mean $1400.00 for a CAP???? Lets hope they have a payment plan....LOL

I don't hate dentist's but I just never get around to going until I have a problem.

Jules said...

MATE - don't start me on dentists. I have four appointments in the pipeline after my checkup on Thursday.

Need 3 big fillings (good because I have lost a tooth for every other pregnancy!) which can't be done for two months due to no time free!! I need my front tooth re-crowned because the last time I "lost" a tooth the dentist had to root canal through the crown and it has subsequently cracked. Front top tooth. The filling I had two years ago in the other front top tooth was one of those white ones and has come away from the tooth leaving another crack.

Gangsta teeth, not a good look for a bride!!

Chris H said...

I say, if it is going to make you feel better about yourself, then GO FOR IT, and stuff the cost. You are worth it!

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Terrible amount of money we have to pay these sadistic people isnt it!! haha... I could never understand why someone would actually want to be a dentist... now I know why.. they are the ones that get the big bucks...

Anonymous said...

It is strange that when we loose weight that things that we never thought was important suddenly is a huge thing for us aye.

Do what makes you happy hun because you can't take money with ya when ya die aye..

Love ya
Chubbymum

Christine said...

Not a person that likes dentists either. I have had extensive work done as well including 8 teeth pulled, braces, and jaw surgery - including the jaw being wired shut for 6 weeks and eating thru a straw! I feel your pain and I hope you can make it thru.

**Mellisa** said...

*shivers* I hate them too!!

meggie said...

OMG Anne, I have blogged before about being from NZ, where the Murder House was part of our school days, & how those dental nurses damaged our teeth sooo much!
I spent a lot of money on my teeth, with bridges, & caps, but in the end had to have the top ones out. Now I have a dying tooth at the bottom, that needs oral surgery. Double shudder! but when it is giving me hell in the night, I feel so insane with it, I cant wait to have it out.
Thanks for visiting my blog, & leaving me a comment!

Helena said...

yep I reckon my dental nurse practiced on me too ... probably explains my dislike for them ... actually I remember being slapped across the face by my one :o ... I also have a photo of me as a kid with a big black filling right in the middle of my two front teeth ... thank god they were only baby teeth ... I mean what the hell is that all about? Darling you are worth $10,000 to get what you want :D

jen said...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek I hate dentists, just THAT smell and I go all goosebumpy!! But hey good luck, coz yeaaaa you are worth it!!

Jen

Pam said...

Yes, go for it, indeed. Teeth are important and you deserve to have them as you want them.

Love the house and the garden - I'm envious of your views. I definitely want a view from our next house.

Lyn said...

I'm with you on the dentis thing. I've always thought that the 'dental nurses' at school were beginners who didn't know what the hell they were doing!!

This torture as a child has given me a lifelong fear of dentists and I refuse to go unless I am in severe pain!!