Friday, February 1

Middle of the night phone calls

*****UPDATE*****

As you've probably read - we have adopted Chris H's dog Izzy. All week I've been so proud of her. I take her (and Toby) down to the dam for a run and a swim at least twice at day. She waits until I give her the OK before leaping into the water and always comes back when called.... BUT NOT TODAY! There was a resident duck in the water, Izzy swam after it for over 20 minutes trying to catch it. I called and called, she just looked at me and kept swimming. She wanted that duck!! I wondered how long she would keep it up. The dam, well it's deep, dirty and just not even a remote possibilty that I could go near it. Plus I had a little grandson with me. In desparation - one last call, now more of a shout IZZY!!! Come here - phew and she did. LOL she has slept nearly all afternoon - I think she is tired!!

I was dead to the world last night then ring, ring! The phone! It was 11.25pm and Peter was muttering about being "called out" (which can happen sometimes if there is a power cut) and how he didn't want to go!! Typical the phone stopped as he got there, it was lighting up to say we had a message but whoever phoned didn't leave one, just hung up. It didn't take me long to get back into my deep sleep, next thing I woke again, all the lights were on and Peter sitting on the bed talking away on the phone. Time - just before midnight!!! I thought I was having a weird dream. I wasn't..... I just hadn't heard the second phone call.

We rent out our beach house through the internet. I have a standard email that we send with details, including details about the key pick up from the local store, also telling them if they are going to be after closing hours to phone the store and let them know. Has worked fine for the last 18 months - no problems. Last night despite this the 'tenants' arrived at 10.30pm expecting us to be there, we live 2 hours away! As Peter was talking to them, the line went dead! I knew I had their contact details on our computer - so a bit after midnight Peter and I are in the office trying to contact the people. No luck, we just got their answer phone. I then checked the bank account and found they hadn't paid the balance owing. So I thought I would try their home phone and leave a message - no such number!!?? Oh well - what can you do at 12.30pm except go back to bed - wide awake!!! So I ended up in the spare room so I could have the light on and read - I feel like a zombie this morning!! I phoned the beach store this morning to see if I could find out what had happened. The "tenants" were there having breakfast - so I could talk to them........

Their story - they arrived late, then realised they couldn't get in. They had an 021 cellphone and no 021 coverage at the beach, so they had to drive all the way back to the nearest town, 50 minutes away, to phone us! When they got the answer phone they hung up, then thought about it and thought maybe they should leave a message and phoned back half an hour later. Peter half asleep told them where to pick up the key from which would have meant wakening the shop owner. This is when the line went dead. They decided against waking up the shop owner and opted to sleep in the car for the night - with 4 little kids!!!! Bright and breezy this morning though when I spoke to them. They couldn't recall the email I sent (they had got it as they had paid and the bank details are on the same email). The balance - well they thought they would pay us when they saw us - but will sort that out when they get home. I forgot to mention that the home number is incorrect. Not really worried, I think they are genuine......

34 degrees up here on the farm yesterday!! Unheard of even for a good summer's day. I love it!! 38 degrees in my office - not so good. I was well and truly ready to hop in the pool for aqua last night. Weird class as our instructor had a bad case of laryngitis and couldn't talk! So she did sign language and one of the other woman was giving the new ones the instructions. Then in the middle of the session, five young teenage boys decided they would dive in the pool - little @#$%*s. We had to move quickly for cover. They got shouted at and were quite defensive. They got out yelling and acting like heros and ran. The life guard was right over the other side of the pool - but LOL he did see and luckily he knew exactly where these kid's bags and towels were. So he picked up their gear and heaved it all over the fence. Then the kids run up and confronted him, swearing and raised fists - what is this world coming to!!?? Luckily they ended up deciding against anything further and left the pool. They can ban the kids from entering the pool again, but I don't think that would easy to do, hundreds of kids and different staff on.

Today - well I feel like hopping back into bed, but I won't. Another sunny day, so lunch time aqua and maybe again at 6.00pm. Then our daughter has some overseas relations here we haven't met before, so we are having drinks tonight. We have three grandsons here tomorrow night and have thought of taking a picnic down to the local beach, LOL let them run up and down sand hills and burn some energy of and hopefully they will fall straight to sleep when they go to bed.

Have a good weekend:-)

7 comments:

Chris H said...

Not so good not getting a good night's sleep, I can relate to that! Hope you are feeling better now. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow....

Jenny said...

Wow!! Love the new look :)

Tracy said...

Love the new layout, it looks so nice & fresh (not that there was anything wrong with the other one)

Chris H said...

I had a feeling she would eventually go after a duck on your dam! Glad she finally came back to you! I miss her .... but don't want to visit yet in case she gets confused and upset.... maybe in a week or two. See you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

dogs and ducks ... what a combo! Our two would be the same, only they probably WOULDNT come back LOL Nice new look there :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne,

Firstly, I love the new look. It's great!

As for Izzy, awwww, bless! Our 3 little dogs can be REALLY stubborn if their mindset elsewhere, LOL. Trouble is, I am too fat and unfit to chase after them if they are ignoring my calls. Now I prefer to keep them on their extention leads just in case, haha.

Sorry to hear that you had a rather disturbed night what with phone calls, etc.

I hope that you manage to keep up on some much-needed rest...

Have a lovely weekend :-D

LL x

Teresa said...

My dog has selective hearing as well. Hope you're not to exhausted from being disturbed from you sleep. Weather sounds lovely... Have a great weekend.