Wednesday, August 15

Feeling on top of everything

The sun is out! I'm feeling on top of everything now after the holiday and then the dreaded phone problems. (Have to say though Peter still doesn't think it is over as the cable is only 'repaired' not replaced - fingers crossed). Also eating has been good since we got back from holiday (apart from my craving for the peanut butter on toast yesterday) so now back into it and today I'm tracking once more. Feel ready to give it another bash. Sneaky look at the scales this morning has me back at my pre holiday weight, so feeling very happy I more or less maintained as planned. Long term, I know I need weekly weigh ins. Before I went on holiday I decided that was my only option. Realistcally I'm probably about 8 kilos from the top of WW goal range, doesn't sound too much to some of you, but it's there and I don't want it to be!!

I do wonder about our oldest grandson Devin at times. What kid at 6 and a half would be happy to come dead last in a cross country race but be happy he wasn't like the other kids because they all went over the same bit of course twice - he had already been that way so he stopped, told nearby people "we've already been that way! I'm going this way..." changed his course and went of in completely another direction, grinning from ear to ear. Crossed the finish line dead last but still grinning. His parents just shake their heads....

This next bit may make you smile or bore you silly - so stop reading right here if you want! The last almost two years have been a struggle with Devin and school. Now it's changing....

Initially we thought we were biased with Devin, being the oldest grandson we thought he seemed a bright little boy. He loved books from a really early age and then before starting school he was reading a bit (seemed to be memorising the words as no-one had taught him). We baby sat him one night after his cousins christening and Peter and I still remember him going on in the car on the way home in the dark about why the moon was shaped like an onion and other times a banana? Looking back - it was Jordyn's christening and Devin was just over two. He had worked really well at child care and they quite often commented about his interests in different subjects. For instance he tried drawing maps showing his home, mum's work, dad's work and the farm, which they pinned all around the walls.

We thought he would do well at school when he started - WRONG!! His first few months at school were a complete disaster, the teacher told our daughter she had never had dealt with a child like this and she didn't know how to cope with him. She said at one stage she needed outside help on how to deal with him, he wouldn't co-operate. A few alarm bells went, but deep down I thought he was fine! School assembly was a real issue as when all the kids stood for the National Anthem - he would sit! Then when they would sit - he would stand! Sounds like a naughty little brat, but then Peter (who Devin adores) sat Devin down and asked him why he was doing this, Devin replied he didn't know why you had to stand and sit when they did, he didn't understand. His words - "no-one has told me why?" So we explained why you stand for the National Anthem - then sit when it's over. Oh - No worries, he did from then on, now that he knew. The teacher was thrilled and told Debbie they had won that battle, little did they know.... it was Peter. He had that teacher only for a couple of months then it was summer holidays. Last year - a fresh start, new teacher, but still similar problems. She also found him difficult to deal with. Debbie was getting concerned.

This year he has a new teacher, he loves her. Yesterday was parent / teacher evening. Debbie came back grinning from ear to ear. Devin is reading at an just over an eight year old level, (he's six and half) in the top reading group, top maths group. Loves writing creative stories and just won an award for creative story writing, he had to go to the principals office and read it to him - then up on the stage at assembly. The teacher said she wished she had a camera as he just stood there grinning and dimbling from ear to ear. Her words about him - he's shining, his brain is constantly questioning, working, she loves how his mind works. I do too! Go Devin - why run the same way everyone else does in cross country if they are covering the same ground, create your own path!

6 comments:

Chubbymum said...

OMG sometimes I feel like I am reading about my children when you write about your grandchildren. Apart from the sitting and standing thing he is a lot like Corbin. They say when some kids are gifted they think a little differently and need to have someone (teacher) that understands and they feel comfortable with because learning to them is a personal thing.

Corbin in the last two years has done extremely well but his first year with the first teacher was a nightmare as she didn't understand (and didn't have kids of her own I might add).

The last two years the teachers have been a little bit more one on one with him and treating him with respect and we found out that he is gifted and that he was bored and so has been given extra things to do. He is 7 and reading at an 11 year old level and is also like that at maths.

It is normal I reckon... don't fear things will turn out... I was the same at school (not gifted) but I responded differently with different teachers and I can still remember the ones that made an impression on me and the ones that I really wanted to do my work with...

Really interesting.

Also with the cross country he he he that sounds like my youngest... he took a stick and walked around the cross country with the stick along the fence taking his sweet old time and didn't understand what the rush was he he he I jsut was beside myself thinking OMG what is he doing. This year is a different story he is competitive and wants to do well... I couldn't stop laughing at your story... soo cool.

Love Chubbymum
http://cmlosingit.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

What a lovely story, Devin sounds like a wonderful little boy and thankfully he now has a teacher who understands him.

Love the 'standing when everyone else sat' for the nathional anthem......LOL

Chris H said...

HOw neat the Devin in a one of a kind, do his own thing kid.... shows he has spunk... stuff conforming! You are one proud Grandma mate... good for you!

Lyn said...

What a cool story!! I feel so proud of him for you, so I bet you must be beaming!! He's going to be an amazing scientist or something I can see that. It's that type of thinking that geniuses are made of!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Anne, My name is Rhonda and I live in Sydney Autralia. I am a reader of your journal which I enjoy very much. I am similar in many ways to you. I just loved reading your story about Devin. I am a proud grandmother too. Chelsi is 2 1/2 and her twin brothers James and Nicholas are 6 months old. Both of my daughters are school teachers and I think I could make a fairly accurate assumption that Devin is a gifted little boy. One of my daughters specialises in teaching gifted and talented children and it is so important that Devin be "categorised" for want of a better word so that he can achieve at his level and enjoying a happy and productive school life. Cheers

Helena said...

I reckon he takes after his granma! Missed ya while you've been "gone" great to have you back :)