Finding the right balance to succeed.
Anyone out there in my age group may have memories of the earlier WW program. I made an attempt at it when probably in my late 20's. The main thing I remembered about the program was we had to have:
5 fish meals (or substitute some for chicken)
1 liver meal a week
So I joined - took a look at what we were meant to do and just thought I can't do it!!!! But the desire to lose some weight must have taken over as I did give it a go! It was hard! I remember living on steamed fish and coleslaw and the liver - well that was a nightmare. The weight fell of. I received bucketloads of compliments BUT there was no way I could stick to the regime and I went back to old habits. The other thing I remember distinctly is while trying to follow this program, my life revolved around it. Peter had a work dinner to go and I opted to stay at home! Why - because I knew it would be too hard for me to stick to the program! Sad really, is there any wonder I failed!
So the various attempts to lose weight continued,
Replacing meals with bars
Several more attempts at WW
Living on chicken and lettuce
Barely eating (not often though - I like my food!)
You name it - I've tried it.
We've all been there. Nothing worked for me long term. My weight fluctuated quite a bit over the years, some photos I look reasonably slim - so something must have been working then! Other photos - well enough said.
Five years ago next month our daughter and partner were returning home to live after being in the UK for five years. I was at an all time high. Decided I needed to go on a 'diet' once more, I didn't want her to see me like this. So of I went to WW again. The program was a lot more flexible than the old days. I stuck to it, my goal was a kilo loss per week. Easy, the first five kilos came of quickly, then Rachel was due home. They were moving in with us until they got a house, she was pregnant with Jordyn, her man had to job hunt. Life was busy, I thought to myself that there was no way I could follow a 'diet' with them both living with us. Too hard, so I went back to old eating habits.
So we got through Christmas, Rachel and her partner bought a house, we had two new grandsons, I was feeling fat again. Early in the next year I thought well that attempt was a total waste of time! I've just gained it back again. That's when my "lightbulb" went of! Why did I keep failing? Simply because what ever I attempted was not long term. I wasn't changing my lifestyle, I was looking for a quick fix, then I could go back and eat all the foods I enjoyed.
That's when I knew I was giving this my last attempt, last because I realised then I could I never go back to how I was eating. Not if I wanted to succeed. Sure I could still have treats, I could eat out (not like the first WW attempt). I have thought time and time again - it's all about finding the right balance and what would work for me. OK - I've gained a bit back, but not because I've been eating the wrong foods, but picking between meals, just consuming too many points.
I've had a great week back on the program, I really do think I can do this long term. I do also know I'm going to be hit with challenges, meals out, social events, holidays, lack of exercise (like right now when I'm still feeling a bit under the weather).
I said the other day I wanted a new look to my blog, a new name, that's where I'm heading. Something along the lines of the healthy lifestyle but balancing it with the challenges and enjoying life to it's fullest (without feeling deprived). For me it's about finding the right balance to succeed.
Oh no - off for a mammogram now! That will take my mind of how I'm feeling....
6 comments:
Great post Anne! It's always good to remember where we've been and how much we've changed.
I reckon you can do it Anne... for life... with our support! And your determination! Good luck with the mammogramme.
Oh Anne I know exactly what you are talking about and I think you might have inspired me to rethink what I am doing at the moment. We'll see but thanks.
I how I remember those old WW days. It seemed so easy back then LOL I became a lifetime member way back in 1975 but over the years it all turned to custard. LOL Thanks for the memories. :)
Now its onwards & downwards. With all the support we have together we CAN do it :)
Cheers,
Jenny
What a great post - thank you for reminding me of what I used to do and you are right - it needs to be a life style change.
Good luck and take care.
Me
Isn't that the key... Life Style changes not quick fixes.. I reckon that is the Key to this weight loss and not thinking it is all going to come off quickly.
We change some habits and we keep the kilos off.
I loved this post Anne
Chubbymum
Post a Comment