Wednesday, August 22

Wednesday

Oops - sat here thinking I'm sure I just named this post THURSDAY and sure enough - I had, just changed it to the correct day!

This week hasn't gone quite according to plan. I had thought I would aim for some exercise each week day. Thursday, Friday - went well. Sunday I started to feel a bit of colour. Monday I had a rash and the most wobbly tummy ever, Tuesday the rash gone but still not quite right. Feeling so much better today, I hate being sick, I haven't got time! I can still eat though! So day 7, tracked all week just didn't move much. I'm hoping for a loss!

Last night our son arrived (Mr Cruise, not as in Tom but as in nature!) He's so casual and laid back! The car pulled up, complete with kayak and surfboard, 30 is the new 20! Our daughters came up to visit their brother, leaving the boys at home with their dads as near their bed time. Over the years our family has grown from the original five, to include a couple of son-in-laws, 4 grandsons, a surrogate grandson, and our daughters two English brother-in-laws. Last night we were back to the original five sitting around the table - it seemed weird! Hasn't been like that for years. When babies are born and then as they grow up, you wonder what they will be, Will they grow up ok? What will their lifes will turn out like? Seeing our three together last night made me remember.

The son - (the cruisy one) wasn't always cruisy, he was the little boy who used to come home from school and want to be bathed and in PJ's as soon as he got home. Later we would put him to bed, go and check before we went to bed and on several occasions he was sound asleep all dressed up in his school clothes ready for school the next day!! He used to be the 'terror' of the family, accident prone and the tantrum throwing one who when very young when a friend of mine broke a banana in half to give to him, he threw himself on the ground trying to jam the banana together - crying - I want a fixed one!!. He was the boy who when his dad called out for a hand outside one day, replied I can't I have a cake in the oven. We should have know he would be a chef. He's travelled a lot, worked in some impressive places, about to start on a new job. We asked when does he start? 'Oh about the 8th or 9th I think' - told you he was cruisy!

He has a twin sister, the pair of them thought being a pair would help them at school. Not long after they started they told their teacher, that one would learn reading and the other maths! They found out it doesn't work like that!

The twin sister, Our youngest - well seeing her last night, who would have thought! Her and her brother were trying to work out a time for lunch today. She had to check her diary as had meetings all day. For the first few years she was the quieter one, with a mob of blond curls she looked quite different to her twin and older sister. We've found out they used to tell her she was adopted!! We used have a lot of laughs at some of the things she used to say and do, she was teased for being a bit "ditzy" - for instance:
Vince Martin the tyre ad - D thought he used to say I'm Being Smart not I'm Vince Martin.
Then she heard the races and commented that the horse quinella won a lot of races!
The classic - one day I was upstairs cleaning out the vanity unit. I decided I needed a rubbish bin and asked her to whip downstairs and get the kitchen tidy, here I was upstairs - waiting, waiting, I called out "where are you?" - a little voice answered from downstairs "I'm tidying the kitchen!". She changed as she reached her teens and became someone that really knew her own mind! No way was she ever going to work in an office. She refused to do more than the standard three years at school, and wanted to leave. Had a variety of jobs. Then over the past few years instead of steadily climbing the ladder in her job, she's jumped to the top, doing really well in a management role and no - not in an office.

The oldest daughter - when she was born Peter's family still recall him appearing at the pub, grinning and telling them all she would be Miss NZ one day! LOL - she is barely five foot tall. This little girl soon had her baby hood vanish quickly when at 17 months had a brother and sister appear into the family. She seemed to grow up very quickly! She got into a fair bit of mischief, but nothing too major and we didn't hear quite a few of the stories until she was grown up! Always had lots of friends, the week before she ventured overseas for her OE there was a constant stream of friends calling in, lots of farewells, lots of tears (this always got me shedding a few silent ones). We took her to the airport, more tears and the heart wrenching goodbye. I didn't believe it would hurt so much, only then did I understand what my parents must have felt like when I left years before. Jokingly one of the last things I said to her was If you bring home a man make sure it is a Scottish one not an English one (due to my background) so Rachel came back home with an English man! Not only that the English husband now has his two brother in laws here - so instead of the Scot we ended up with three English! LOL - I don't think that girl ever listened to me! She has a heart of gold, when she was overseas she knew she was going to miss out on her Dad's 50th birthday. I could tell she really wanted to be here. She sounded quite homesick just before the party and said that she had a present and was just about to get it on it's way, she hoped her dad would like it. Sunday night just under a week before the party, someone at the door, I opened it and there was the present - Rachel home for 10 days to celebrate!

They've grown up just fine and we are proud of all three of them. Now I'm wondering about the grandsons....

Also wondering what my result will be tomorrow?

8 comments:

Sue said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes - for lots of reasons:
You're so proud of your kids and you love them so much. It shines through in your writing.
Made me miss my boy (as usual).
Family get-togethers are so special.

Thanks for sharing this, Anne. Those kids have got a great Mum.

Christine said...

So happy to read about you and your family. Isn't this wonderful to surround yourself with your kids and all the love! This post makes me think that I better get cracking and start a family! LOL. I am turning 30 right away. Eeeks.

I do need to be sure I am ready for a family though. My mother was a twin and my grandmother was a twin. I only have 1 sibling - no twins this generation. So - I am almost certain its going to get me! :) Would be nice to have instant family though. I need to be surrounded by the love you are talking about when I get older.

Chris H said...

Lovely reading Anne. It is so neat when you are proud of your kids, and love them so much. Good luck for weigh in tomorrow!

Julie's Journey said...

So lovely to read about your kids Anne. You have a lot to be proud about. I'm sure they realise just how wonderful you are too. Good luck at weigh in.

Helena said...

you need to write books! You have such a fantastic way with words, I'm not a mum, but I have a mum and its made me appreciate her all the more ... you are awesome

Rachel said...

What a wonderful post about your kids, they all sound precious. It must have been fantastic to have just the 5 of you around the table for the first time in YEARS.

Dying to know how you went with weigh in.

See you Sunday

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for sharing the post about your kids. I Loved reading it. I have 2 boys, 12 & 8 and I often wonder about the men they will grow up to be. I love them to bits. Its so nice to hear someone who is proud of their kids and can remember lots about their childhood.
Good luck with weigh in

Lee-Anne said...

I loved reading this post. With 6 kids - 4 of them over the age of 19 it's not always easy to have harmony all the time. But we do have them.

Good luck for weigh in. Hope it goes your way.