My story so far
I was a bit shocked this week when our WW leader asked me if I would be interested writing my story (as a personal goal member) to the WW magazine to see if they would be interested in publishing it. I'm quite sure that I don't want to do this, but the shock was that she even considered me!! I often meet people through WW and aqua (also through many blogs) that continue to amaze me with their stories, their determination and the changes they have made to their lifes. I feel a bit of a plodder compared to most, quite a determined one but a plodder just the same! When diary-x did it's disappearing act I lost everything that I had written - so the WW leader got me thinking that my story isn't here for any new readers - so will try and give you an idea of how I've got here!
I've been overweight for probably close to 30 years. In that time had hundreds of attempts to lose weight, one time getting down to 63kg!! It didn't last - Everytime the weight went back on, and some! For quite a few years I hovered in the 90 kilo range, my highest (recorded) weight was 98.2. My health suffered with high blood pressure and back problems. I was tired and lethargic. I hated seeing myself in photos, mirrors and shop windows. I hated shopping for clothes. I kidded myself my weight didn't matter, I kidded myself I didn't care - but I did. I started to lack confidence and felt inferior.
I've been overweight for probably close to 30 years. In that time had hundreds of attempts to lose weight, one time getting down to 63kg!! It didn't last - Everytime the weight went back on, and some! For quite a few years I hovered in the 90 kilo range, my highest (recorded) weight was 98.2. My health suffered with high blood pressure and back problems. I was tired and lethargic. I hated seeing myself in photos, mirrors and shop windows. I hated shopping for clothes. I kidded myself my weight didn't matter, I kidded myself I didn't care - but I did. I started to lack confidence and felt inferior.
Almost three years ago I rejoined WW, I felt differently this time. Don't know why - but just thought it had to happen this time! I didn't have the expectations I did in the past of losing a kilo a week and being down to goal in a matter of months. This had to be a lifestyle change and I knew it would be slow but I would do it. I also decided I needed to exercise, so started aqua and some small walks. LOL the first aqua class I went to was in the dive pool, I am (or was) scared of deep water and had no idea it was going to be in a deep pool By the time I walked over to the pool I felt all eyes were on me so couldn't back away. I remember thinking "bloody hell I don't want to get in there!" I gingerly put on the aqua belt and got in. I was petrified and had to keep going to the side, just to hang on, people kept asking if I was OK! I slowly overcame those feelings and now love the deep water more than the aerobics in the shallow pool.
Then the walks - the very first month one of the meetings was about increasing your exercise by 10% - so one day I walked a bit further, tripped, fell and twisted my ankle. We are out in the country so I picked myself up hoping no-one saw my clumsiness and limped home! I was so fed up as all I could think about was this would stop my exercise. I thought it was only a bad sprain as I could walk on it (just). We went away that night for a weekend and I spent the time trying to rest it. On the Monday I headed off to the doctors, she didn't think it was serious but sent me off for an x-ray - it was fractured, also had ligament damage! I was gutted as we were heading away to the Bay of Islands to visit friends and go yachting for a holiday, we still went but I was in plaster so even more immobile than normal - It was a mission getting 90 plus kilos of me complete with plaster on a yacht!
In the past this would have been the perfect excuse to chuck in WW with both a broken ankle and a holiday to face. But I had the thoughts that life is about holidays, injuries etc and you have to deal with it, not use it as an excuse to stop. It was a social holiday, meals out, wine, great company and once again a perfect reason to stop the healthy life I was trying to achieve, so I just chose moderation and just watched what I ate, enjoyed the holiday and came back to weigh in complete with plaster to record a loss! Then I thought if I survived those two challenges, I can do this! The plaster came off and I had to have a lot of physio on the ligament damage so I asked the physio if I could go straight back to aqua - he said yes, off I limped and got back into it!
Then the plateau! The first year at WW I lost around 20 kilos, then I hit a brick wall. Quite a big one! I then read an article about medication mentioning the two high blood pressure ones I was on and how it can hinder weight loss. So back to the doctors, she agreed and we tried to lower the dose, I'm now down to quarter of the medication I started on but haven't been able to get completely off them. Looking back it's taken almost another two years to lose another 8 kilos, and I'm about 3 kilos from the top range of my goal.
Then the walks - the very first month one of the meetings was about increasing your exercise by 10% - so one day I walked a bit further, tripped, fell and twisted my ankle. We are out in the country so I picked myself up hoping no-one saw my clumsiness and limped home! I was so fed up as all I could think about was this would stop my exercise. I thought it was only a bad sprain as I could walk on it (just). We went away that night for a weekend and I spent the time trying to rest it. On the Monday I headed off to the doctors, she didn't think it was serious but sent me off for an x-ray - it was fractured, also had ligament damage! I was gutted as we were heading away to the Bay of Islands to visit friends and go yachting for a holiday, we still went but I was in plaster so even more immobile than normal - It was a mission getting 90 plus kilos of me complete with plaster on a yacht!
In the past this would have been the perfect excuse to chuck in WW with both a broken ankle and a holiday to face. But I had the thoughts that life is about holidays, injuries etc and you have to deal with it, not use it as an excuse to stop. It was a social holiday, meals out, wine, great company and once again a perfect reason to stop the healthy life I was trying to achieve, so I just chose moderation and just watched what I ate, enjoyed the holiday and came back to weigh in complete with plaster to record a loss! Then I thought if I survived those two challenges, I can do this! The plaster came off and I had to have a lot of physio on the ligament damage so I asked the physio if I could go straight back to aqua - he said yes, off I limped and got back into it!
Then the plateau! The first year at WW I lost around 20 kilos, then I hit a brick wall. Quite a big one! I then read an article about medication mentioning the two high blood pressure ones I was on and how it can hinder weight loss. So back to the doctors, she agreed and we tried to lower the dose, I'm now down to quarter of the medication I started on but haven't been able to get completely off them. Looking back it's taken almost another two years to lose another 8 kilos, and I'm about 3 kilos from the top range of my goal.
As you probably gathered despite trying many different ways to budge the last bit, it's in no hurry to go. I sometimes can't quite believe how hard this last bit is to go. You've probably also maybe gathered that I'm quite determined not to give up! Now rather than freak out about what the scales are saying, I'm concentrating on healthy food choices and trying to increase my exercise. And also enjoying how far I've come!! I've come to accept that the medication and my age are not helping but I know I'm going to get there!
The chances in me, lots but to give you just a few:
The chances in me, lots but to give you just a few:
Exercise - to start exercise was just a way to help with weight loss, I never dreamt I would actually enjoy it. M y thoughts were to exercise until I reached goal then I wouldn't have to do it any more. But I've decided it's always going to be part of my life - it's portant to me as it also has improved my health, the back problems I had are almost a thing of the past. I'm far more mobile. I could go on and on but I know how beneficial it all is to me. I know MM gets a bit of a shocked look every now and then when I mention the gym visits I've done and the other exercise I've achieved. He's probably thinking where's the old Anne?
Shopping - love it!! I no longer have to dart into the large section and if I was lucky enough to find something to fit I would buy two. (Usually black and shapeless) So much choice now days! A couple of bloggers mentioned new boots that they have bought this year. I got a pair last year and love them! To start with I made a few shopping errors, just so excited that smaller clothes fitted, so I didn't really take time out to see if they suited. I'm a lot more selective. Size 22-24 to 14-16 (and one pair of size 12's!)
I so much more aware of what I feed my body and the reasons why. I love experimenting with food, trying and enjoying new things. I've found I can dish up low fat meals that are also delicious. (I still have the odd urge to devour a pie or sausage roll or white chocolate etc but I can seem to ignore them!)
It also seems a bit strange at times meeting new people that didn't know the old me! This week I went to the dental hygenist for a six monthly clean. She's lovely and a bit of a laugh!
The conversation went like this
Her: What a beautiful day
Me: Mmm (moouth full of bits and pieces) hope it stays like this I'm off to the pool
Her: Oh - are you another one keeping the training going for the She Tri - I did it this year and it was great!
Me: No - just going to an aqua class, have been thinking about the She Tri though.
Her: You should - you'll love it. Do you like aqua?
(By now I was in shock that anyone would think I was a possible candidate for a Tri!!)
Me: Yep really enjoy it - started doing it to lose weight but now sort of addicated!
Her: How much have you lost?
Me: (shyly) around 28 k's
Her: BLOODY HELL WOMAN!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!
Shopping - love it!! I no longer have to dart into the large section and if I was lucky enough to find something to fit I would buy two. (Usually black and shapeless) So much choice now days! A couple of bloggers mentioned new boots that they have bought this year. I got a pair last year and love them! To start with I made a few shopping errors, just so excited that smaller clothes fitted, so I didn't really take time out to see if they suited. I'm a lot more selective. Size 22-24 to 14-16 (and one pair of size 12's!)
I so much more aware of what I feed my body and the reasons why. I love experimenting with food, trying and enjoying new things. I've found I can dish up low fat meals that are also delicious. (I still have the odd urge to devour a pie or sausage roll or white chocolate etc but I can seem to ignore them!)
It also seems a bit strange at times meeting new people that didn't know the old me! This week I went to the dental hygenist for a six monthly clean. She's lovely and a bit of a laugh!
The conversation went like this
Her: What a beautiful day
Me: Mmm (moouth full of bits and pieces) hope it stays like this I'm off to the pool
Her: Oh - are you another one keeping the training going for the She Tri - I did it this year and it was great!
Me: No - just going to an aqua class, have been thinking about the She Tri though.
Her: You should - you'll love it. Do you like aqua?
(By now I was in shock that anyone would think I was a possible candidate for a Tri!!)
Me: Yep really enjoy it - started doing it to lose weight but now sort of addicated!
Her: How much have you lost?
Me: (shyly) around 28 k's
Her: BLOODY HELL WOMAN!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!
We did talk quite a bit more and she gave me a lot of encouragement about competing, bikes etc but the part I loved was that she saw me as a fit person able to compete in a Tri!! I came out with a smile ( a whiter one too!)
Exercise
Monday
Gym
2 aqua sessions
Tuesday
10 minutes exercyle
aqua
Wednesday
gym
aqua
short walk
Today
so far - 30 minute walk
plan aqua tonight
It's increasing a little bit. Every little bit helps:)
Oh and the second battery I found for the scales has run out - good job!!!
11 comments:
Great post Anne, thank you! :-)
Thanks for sharing this Anne - I knew some, but not all of it. I think the thing that makes you such a winner is that you keep going, no matter how slow that weight is to go. You are determined that the healthy Anne is here to stay!
You are an inspiration Anne. :) Getting to know you has really made a big difference to my way of thinking...LOL Now I want to keep on track....LOL I keep the vision of meeting you for coffees etc. once a month firmly in my sights....LOL Its small steps for me but steps in the right direction. Thanks for being the friend you are. Have a great weekend :).......off to do 10mins on the bike :)
I always love hearing peoples "before" stories and what got them motivated this time... I know I have read yours before but its nice being able to read it again. You are doing so well and your thinking and whole attitude has changed this time and I am sure that the "new" Anne is here to stay for good!!!!
Anne YOU ARE inspirational and your story is a wonderful example of how hard work and commitment can bring about success. I agree with the dentist: BLOODY HELL WOMAN. AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Hi Anne. It was cool to read your story again, thank you for sharing. I might even think about telling my story again - for the newbies, but also for me :-)
Well done on your 28kg, I agree with Michelle and the dentist - AWESOME!!
as the others have said great reading. I can't see y u would think no one would want to read your story on WW mag...it is as inspirational as any of the others, hell girl look at what you wnet thru at the begining hell anyone would have given up with a cast on there ankle but not u dittiminded annie.
I so look forward to haveing a goodold catch up later this month(well next month technically still March when I am writting this)
You have to submit it to weight watchers, it is a fantastic story. You are an inspiration to lots of people & to see how far you have come & made such a positive lifestyle change should be shown to as many people as possible.
What a wonderful sotry -it brought a tear to my eye. makes me realise why I started this journey.... THANKS!!
Hi Anne. I think it is fantastic that your leader wants you to submit your story to ww'ers and I think you should do it. As much as I love reading each and every success story in the magazines I find more often than not most of the people have taken the weight off at the 1kg a week pace and reached goal within a year. Now don't get me wrong - I think that is fantastic and there are a few bloggers who have lost at that pace too and are AMAZING but there are others who lose weight slower and their story, your story, is just as important to someone who is thinking about starting and picked up the ww'er magazine for the first time. Someone who perhaps would be scared to compare themselves to a fast paced weight loser and who would be justifiably inpired by the strength it takes to just keep going.
You should do it Anne. I would be so proud to pick up a magazine and have your story in it to read.
Keep up the pace and have a brilliant weekend :D
I agree wholeheartedly - an inspirational story. Thanks for telling it for your newish readers. I am well and truly stuck, loss-wise, at the moment, but you give me hope! Congratulations on your achievement.
Post a Comment