My intro to exercise...
Second entry for today!
I went out for a walk and was thinking about Sue's post on exercise. It really got me realising how far I've have come. I can also see so many positive changes in other people in their blogs. I just wanted to share the following........
Exercise to me was something I never ever thought about. I would always park the car right outside where I needed to go, always opted for the easy way to do something. Basically I was lazy. I was also majorly unfit, with sky high blood pressure!!
Once more I started on this WW journey – this time with a lot of determination, and feeling really positive. I knew I had to change lots in my life, I also knew one of the things I needed to do was in becoming more active. A lot of you saw the light a bit sooner than me, I was 50 when I started WW this time and I’m sure the changes would have been easier to make a few years sooner!
Like many others I started with the odd walk. Then I thought about trying an aqua class. The only person I told was Peter. I didn’t want to fail, I didn’t want people to make jokes about me going or tease me. Off I went to the pool. This for me took a lot of courage, as not only was I out of my comfort zone, I was out there for all to see in my togs! Not only me in togs but an overweight me in togs! The first day I couldn’t see anyone by the indoor poor so wandered out to reception and asked and was told the session was outdoors. Strange I thought but out I went, on over to the pool seeing all these heads bobbing up and down, it looked a bit weird then I realised it was the dive pool!! I’m (or was) petrified of deep water, I can’t swim! I wondered how these women were staying afloat? Someone called out to me and told me to put on a belt? I found them, but all I wanted to do was escape!!! I felt like all eyes were on me as I gingerly got in. No choice when all these eyes were watching me. I was literally shaking with fear. All something I can laugh about now. I had no idea the belts were meant to be on tight and firm and mine kept slipping up my back. For reassurance I had to keep going to the side of the pool and holding on. I felt stupid, scared and was sure people would be laughing. I was floundering but got through the class. Never again I thought as I headed home.
I went home, raced inside and said to Peter "the aqua was in the bloody dive pool!!" We looked at each other and cracked up laughing. He asked if I was going back, never I said! He remarked he didn’t think anyone would drown in an aqua class. Very funny but maybe it was that comment that made me try again. I still was very nervous. But I perserved and after a few sessions my confidence got up, I started to enjoy it a bit more, relax and then it became second nature and I never thought about it. Must say here as well that the instructor was always encouraging and supportive and without her I probably wouldn’t have ever kept it up. (Mmmm - must tell her that next time I’m there!)
One thing I do now though is I see any newcomers looking nervous or worried; I always talk to them, and reassure them letting them know I know how they feel!
Also in these first early days I got into walking a lot more. Only about a month after starting at WW – I was starting to feel I was going to succeed, here I was going to aqua and walking and feeling great. Then…………… one night when on a walk I had in my head something the WW leader had said about aiming for 10% more, and so I thought I would go just a little further…… tripped and fractured my ankle. That put me out of action for a month as I was put into plaster. Very frustrating as I was getting into moving and being active. As soon as the plaster came off I asked the physio when I could start back at aqua. I could barely walk. We talked about it though and he said if I went and just did what I could that it probably would help with the healing. (I had ligament damage as well).
So once again a couple of months after my first appearance at the pool of I went again, only this time limping in.
It would have been easy at that stage to think that’s it but I’m proud that I’ve never given up on me.
Thanks Sue for making me think back!
Now if you are still here - here’s my earlier entry and after my walk I’m on 5024 steps.
Windy wild Wednesday. That really sums up what the weather is like here today.
Yesterday as tempting as it seemed I didn't curl up with a book in the afternoon. I don't feel great in the morning and am quite blocked up but as the day goes on I'm a lot better, really didn't feel bad enough to slacken off for the afternoon. I haven't been to aqua all week and I'm missing it. But I would be mad to go blocked up like this. My steps yesterday were just over 5,000 (slack but I did heaps in the office) I'm feeling hemmed in and I need to get out there and do something! The sun is finally shining (just) the rain has stopped, it's still windy, blowing a gale actually - but I'm going to wrap up and take a walk when I finish this. From Monday lunch time aqua (and some night classes ) will be in the outdoor pool - it will be bloody freezing!
I had a bad night last night, tossing and turning and in the early hours of the morning I got my pillow and book and took of for the spare room. I knew reading for a while would send me of to sleep and if I turn the light on Peter wakes up, so off I went, read for probably a couple of hours and drifted off into a deep sleep and next minute it seemed Peter woke me up, it was just after 7.30.
Have achieved heaps of work over the past couple of days and I think my mad reasoning is that if I keep doing office work I haven't got time to get out the books and do some study. I'm putting all thoughts of doing study in the background and know it's time to knuckle down. While I've been going to the course, it's all been practical work but as we go we are also meant to be doing theory in our own time, which I haven't even started. So it's going to be a last minute effort by the looks of things. No excuse tomorrow though as I'm quite up to date here so will have time to get out the books, notes and get stuck in. I know once I start I will be away - but with me it's just the thought of starting.
Well I'm off to hit the road, by the sounds of the wind I think I'm going to be blown part of the way either on the way out or the way home. Just took a look at my pedometer and only 1618 steps showing - now that is slack - so I'm out of here!
Catch you later:)
I went out for a walk and was thinking about Sue's post on exercise. It really got me realising how far I've have come. I can also see so many positive changes in other people in their blogs. I just wanted to share the following........
Exercise to me was something I never ever thought about. I would always park the car right outside where I needed to go, always opted for the easy way to do something. Basically I was lazy. I was also majorly unfit, with sky high blood pressure!!
Once more I started on this WW journey – this time with a lot of determination, and feeling really positive. I knew I had to change lots in my life, I also knew one of the things I needed to do was in becoming more active. A lot of you saw the light a bit sooner than me, I was 50 when I started WW this time and I’m sure the changes would have been easier to make a few years sooner!
Like many others I started with the odd walk. Then I thought about trying an aqua class. The only person I told was Peter. I didn’t want to fail, I didn’t want people to make jokes about me going or tease me. Off I went to the pool. This for me took a lot of courage, as not only was I out of my comfort zone, I was out there for all to see in my togs! Not only me in togs but an overweight me in togs! The first day I couldn’t see anyone by the indoor poor so wandered out to reception and asked and was told the session was outdoors. Strange I thought but out I went, on over to the pool seeing all these heads bobbing up and down, it looked a bit weird then I realised it was the dive pool!! I’m (or was) petrified of deep water, I can’t swim! I wondered how these women were staying afloat? Someone called out to me and told me to put on a belt? I found them, but all I wanted to do was escape!!! I felt like all eyes were on me as I gingerly got in. No choice when all these eyes were watching me. I was literally shaking with fear. All something I can laugh about now. I had no idea the belts were meant to be on tight and firm and mine kept slipping up my back. For reassurance I had to keep going to the side of the pool and holding on. I felt stupid, scared and was sure people would be laughing. I was floundering but got through the class. Never again I thought as I headed home.
I went home, raced inside and said to Peter "the aqua was in the bloody dive pool!!" We looked at each other and cracked up laughing. He asked if I was going back, never I said! He remarked he didn’t think anyone would drown in an aqua class. Very funny but maybe it was that comment that made me try again. I still was very nervous. But I perserved and after a few sessions my confidence got up, I started to enjoy it a bit more, relax and then it became second nature and I never thought about it. Must say here as well that the instructor was always encouraging and supportive and without her I probably wouldn’t have ever kept it up. (Mmmm - must tell her that next time I’m there!)
One thing I do now though is I see any newcomers looking nervous or worried; I always talk to them, and reassure them letting them know I know how they feel!
Also in these first early days I got into walking a lot more. Only about a month after starting at WW – I was starting to feel I was going to succeed, here I was going to aqua and walking and feeling great. Then…………… one night when on a walk I had in my head something the WW leader had said about aiming for 10% more, and so I thought I would go just a little further…… tripped and fractured my ankle. That put me out of action for a month as I was put into plaster. Very frustrating as I was getting into moving and being active. As soon as the plaster came off I asked the physio when I could start back at aqua. I could barely walk. We talked about it though and he said if I went and just did what I could that it probably would help with the healing. (I had ligament damage as well).
So once again a couple of months after my first appearance at the pool of I went again, only this time limping in.
It would have been easy at that stage to think that’s it but I’m proud that I’ve never given up on me.
Thanks Sue for making me think back!
Now if you are still here - here’s my earlier entry and after my walk I’m on 5024 steps.
Windy wild Wednesday. That really sums up what the weather is like here today.
Yesterday as tempting as it seemed I didn't curl up with a book in the afternoon. I don't feel great in the morning and am quite blocked up but as the day goes on I'm a lot better, really didn't feel bad enough to slacken off for the afternoon. I haven't been to aqua all week and I'm missing it. But I would be mad to go blocked up like this. My steps yesterday were just over 5,000 (slack but I did heaps in the office) I'm feeling hemmed in and I need to get out there and do something! The sun is finally shining (just) the rain has stopped, it's still windy, blowing a gale actually - but I'm going to wrap up and take a walk when I finish this. From Monday lunch time aqua (and some night classes ) will be in the outdoor pool - it will be bloody freezing!
I had a bad night last night, tossing and turning and in the early hours of the morning I got my pillow and book and took of for the spare room. I knew reading for a while would send me of to sleep and if I turn the light on Peter wakes up, so off I went, read for probably a couple of hours and drifted off into a deep sleep and next minute it seemed Peter woke me up, it was just after 7.30.
Have achieved heaps of work over the past couple of days and I think my mad reasoning is that if I keep doing office work I haven't got time to get out the books and do some study. I'm putting all thoughts of doing study in the background and know it's time to knuckle down. While I've been going to the course, it's all been practical work but as we go we are also meant to be doing theory in our own time, which I haven't even started. So it's going to be a last minute effort by the looks of things. No excuse tomorrow though as I'm quite up to date here so will have time to get out the books, notes and get stuck in. I know once I start I will be away - but with me it's just the thought of starting.
Well I'm off to hit the road, by the sounds of the wind I think I'm going to be blown part of the way either on the way out or the way home. Just took a look at my pedometer and only 1618 steps showing - now that is slack - so I'm out of here!
Catch you later:)
3 comments:
Hi Anne,
Thanks for your email today, I appreciate the support I've had from you guys over the years. It helped me get to goal. As it is I'm not starting another blog ... yet. I want to wait till I'm back up and able to lose weight again. (when my head is in the right space to lose weight) Just got over a broken ankle and surgery the last 3mths but nearly ready to start again. When I do start my blog I'll be sure to email you to let you know.
Thanks again, I really appreciated it.
Lyn :)
Awesome post Ann.
I also got something out of Sue's post and was really inspired to hear about her struggles and now I have read your post, it has helped even more.
While sitting here I actually put on my pedometer that I have had sitting on my desk for months and kept thinking "I should put that on" as I have NO IDEA how many steps I do in a day.......so thanks for that.
I have also been reading (on a few blogs) about Aqua classes and have always wanted to do it so I am going to ring our local pool and find out when they have classes.........thanks again.
You are an inspiration and have done so well and I love reading your blog.
Wonder if blogger beta is going to let me post today, just checking anne!
Post a Comment