Tuesday, January 22

Awkward and fussy.............

We made the most of the long weekend and went over to the beach. The sea had huge swells with massive waves breaking over the reef. It can be so wild there, I love how changeable it is. Saturday we drove over to a neighbouring beach about 40 minutes away to meet friends who have bought into a motor camp there. They came back to visit us the following day and stayed for lunch.

Ok despite all my efforts, I'm struggling quite a bit to get my food intake back how I would like it.... Healthy (most of the time) but too much and not enough exercise. Saturday night we decided to eat at the little cafe at the beach. Devin our grandson thinks that is a huge treat and it is nice to be sitting there looking out to sea. The cafe is quite basic - very limited choice on the menu but the food is tasty. It would have been so easy just to go with the flow and have a plate of fish and chips but I thought I would and could make an effort to get into better habits. I know they do pan fried fish, it is served with chips and salad. So I ordered that, simple I thought, fish, no chips and the salad dressing on the side. I asked politely, said please and thanks! Well the 'waitress/bar assistant' blew me away when I ordered, she muttered quite loudly "I've met some fussy awkward people before but heard it all now!" Rude, rude tart I thought. Don't think she had too much up top! But I was shocked and wasn't sure how to react. I ended up laughing (at her really) and agreed with her - that I was fussy and awkward! So the meals arrived:
I got my pan fried fish,
no chips
salad - dressing on the side (and all over the salad?)

Peter got his meal
fishermans' basket
no chips! LOL You should have seen his face!!!
salad - no dressing at all!

Peter stirred me up even further on the way home. He asked "why do you change what is on the menu? Why don't you just have what's there." I think he's forgotten how I've lost the weight I have and it wasn't by eating just what ever is dished up. I was seething inside and thought if I always just picked what was on menu and ate it I would still be piling on weight. All fine for my skinny husband who can eat anything and just stay the same weight. I told him that we pay for the meals - we are the customers and I don't think I'm an awkward, fussy person for asking for no chips and to just put the dressing on the side!!!! I ask nicely, say please and thank you! What do you think?

9 comments:

Chris H said...

You must know what I think!
You are totally within your rights to ask what you did, hell you are the one paying for it!
That waitress is a rude bitch.. you should have said something to the manager!
I would have.
AS for Peter, hit him over the head... stooooopid man.

Chris H said...

derrr. forgot
Saturday, 10 am at the Churchyard Cafe....

Zanna said...

I'm with you every step of the way - why do they think it's called the catering industry - it's because they're supposed to cater to the needs of their customers. And I don't think I would have been anything like so tolerant with that waitress - and I would have sent the salad back and repeated my request for no dressing. I wonder if they realise how lightly they got off?
Z xx

Jenny said...

Wow!!!! How many times have I read about what to ask for when eating out......yep....exactly what you did. I think that waitress needs to go on a 'kiwi host' course and to remember her manners & who is paying her wages!!!!!!
I don't have any worries with Jim as it's always him changing what's on the menu!!!! Usually asking for something that isn't even mentioned!!!!!! Can see both sides...LOL Just let him order his own and pretend you don't know him and just order your own and make sure it's what you want. I know skinny husbands can be a pain!!!!!And to boot my one even looks younger than his age!!!!!!!

Lyn said...

yep im with ya all the way!!! There is nothing wrong with asking for a few tweaks. Any decent place will do that for you. It's not like you were asking for stuff they didn't have. Infact if they thought about it they save money on the chips!!!

Stick to your guns mate!!

Me said...

Hi Anne- am TOTALLY with you on asking for what you want - you are paying for it and you are entitled to ask for things sep or not at all. It isn't as though you are asking them to actually make something which is completely different. I do the same thing when I go out - we are the paying customer and at the end of the day, they are in the service industry and, as such, are really supposed to serve you.

If you are polite and pleasant with your request there is no reason for her to be rude and make comments which I feel are totally uncalled for.

I hope you don't go back there (and when we go back to NZ I'll find out the name of the place and make sure we don't go there either) !!!

Have a great week !
Me

Teresa said...

I agree with you 100%. If you're paying for it you should get it the way you want. My DH always gives me a hard time when I order as well. Lucky them they can eat whatever they want.

If his order was messed up he should have spoke up. Keep on asking for what you want, too bad for silly people.

Rachel said...

My response to that dumb tart would have been "well if you had an up-to-date healthly menu which catered for your customers, I wouldn't have to be fussy would I?"

Dumb bitch!

You made a good choice and good on you for making the effort (even if they did get it wrong).

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

Oh wow... thats bad customer service.... I think I would have stood up and said dont bother, with a comment like that coming from staff... That would have made my bloody boil.... for me being gluten intollerant I have to change what is on 95% of the menus I see... I have been lucky enough that here people are usually only too happy to help me..
If not I will go elsewhere as gluten can make me very sick...
haha that hubby missed out on his chips too....