Thursday, March 8

Earthquakes and flying

Just to inspire me into making good food choices while away - this morning the scales said 72k!! I haven't seen that number for a while. Hope the downward trend keeps on going....

We were hit by an earthquake last night and in my typical fashion up I jumped and ran to under the door way. Peter just sat there - and I asked "how can you do that and not panic?!" His reply was he will run for the big one!! I just can't help myself with this reaction and it's gained a few laughs in my past from people. A few years ago my boss walked up and spoke to me, I felt the tremor of an earthquake starting - he didn't, and my reaction was swearing, jumping up and running. He cracked up laughing. I know this probably has been something I've inherited from my mum, (LOL along with a love of handbags, and trying to find the perfect lipstick). Mum was a fiesty woman with a strong Glaswegian accent. Dad and Mum immigrated to Wellington from Glasgow and she had never felt an earthquake until then. For all her strengh they turned her into a mumbling mess. She would yell at us kids to run, get under the table, no get under the door frame..... so we would be going in all directions. After one earthquake poor old Dad received a phone call at the pub, telling him to get home because we just had an earthquake, bit late really.

Another little fear is flying - which we are just about to do. No doubt a little plane as well which makes it even worse. OK once in the air but taking off and landing bother me. I'm one of these strange people that grip the seat arms and hang on.

72 k's yay!!

8 comments:

Chris H said...

As you know, I love earthquakes! Maybe a really big one would freak me out? And like you, I don't like flying either, that plane crash in Indonesia is awful, and makes me even more scared of flying to Australia soon! 72! Awesome.

michelle said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying the gym so much. Have a good trip away and try to ignore any more earthquakes. Easy fo rm eto say as we don't get them.

Lynda said...

I hate earthquakes too! 72kg... excellent. I wish my weight was trending downward :(

Felicity said...

Congrates on the 72k well done girl

jen said...

wooooooooohoooooooooooooo going down.....72, thats awesome, but you have been working hard for it...go girl, onwards and downwards.

Jen

Zanna said...

Thrilled to hear all your hard work is paying off - I'll have to lift my game or you'll be a 60s girl before me! Have a great weekend away - hope the flight is OK - I'm one of those funny bunnies who loves taking off especially - but feel for anyone who isn't comfortable with it.
Have fun
Z

Rachel said...

Way to go with your weight Anne, just goes to show that they gym is definately working (bugger it!..haha). I hope you have a wonderful visit with your son and brother in law.

Pam said...

How strange to have experienced earthquakes! Your mum certainly wouldn't have - we don't go in for such excitements in Scotland. My son has just arranged two months' work experience in Nelson next spring - how interesting that your son lives there.I had never heard of it before but it sounds lovely.

Have a good time.