Good Habits
I suppose every gym has them - the grunters we call them! The men who push weights so hard they do huge grunts, groans, heaves and are very vocal! Women tend to grit their teeth (in silence) and get on with it. There were two guys at the gym yesterday who go around as a pair, then swap over the weight equipment with each other. They are grunters, huge grunters, the noises coming from them make me grin. I was out on the mat area when they came through, they both started doing weights, grunting away as they do. It got too much for one of them, he lay exhausted, groaned, moaned and quite loudly said ''OHHH F#*K!!! I'm broad minded but couldn't quite believe it. I was almost tempted to say "listen mate I didn't make that much noise giving birth!!!"
Oh how hard it is to make something a good habit, how hard it is to keep the new habit going, and how easy it is to start to break a habit.
This has been what's going on with me this week, there is this devilish woman inside that has been arguing with the more disciplined me. I'll call her She Devil. She's evil!! Since Monday this is what the arguments have been like, guess who won!
MONDAY
She Devil: You are too busy today for the gym.
Me: But I don't want to miss a session...
She Devil: Leave it today - you can make it up tomorrow. Just do aqua.
Me: Yep - you're right.
(Not that busy I couldn't fit in an extra aqua class at night!)
TUESDAY
Me: Mmm, I'm meant to go to the gym to make up for yesterday.
She Devil: You've still got heaps on to do.
Me: Maybe I'll go and just do half the program.....
She Devil: Waste of petrol - just go tomorrow.
Me: Yea - twice a week is enough!
(I did get to aqua at night once again)
WEDNESDAY
Me: I have to do a full program today, haven't been since Friday!
She Devil: You still have to organise your holiday details, are you sure you've got time?
10.30am
Me: If I'm going to make the gym, I better go now!
She Devil: Finish of what you are doing here and then go - you may not get all the program done - but at least you will get through a bit before aqua.
Me: Yep - you are right.
She Devil: You are doing well, you've done three aqua sessions so far this week.
11.30am
dragged myself into the gym, aqua starts at 12.10
I was thinking at this stage - do I really need to do gym work as well as aqua??
She Devil: How much of the program are you going to do? You won't get time for the whole program.
Me: I'll just see how I go.
She Devil: don't forget aqua starts in just over 30 minutes, you can come back here tomorrow.
So I started working out and I also started thinking, I've mucked around all week, yep I'm busy but this isn't what I planned! I know I need the gym work more than aqua and this week I'm slipping back into bad habits of half finished gym programs, then they could get fewer and fewer between (like in the past)
12.05
She Devil: Time to stop and get into the pool! It will be lovely in there.
Me: No way!! I'm only half way through my program, I'm going to finish it today!
So I did, I felt great afterwards! Tired but a well earned tiredness. I made the last half of the aqua class. I'm not going to listen to that She Devil. I've started a new habit in my life and I don't want it to change, I can see how easily that could happen!
8 comments:
Oh I so would have said 'I didn't make that much noise during child birth' just to see the looks on their faces........go on, do it next time hahaha. What big girls they are!
Your She Devil must be friends with mine, good on you for not listening to her anylonger.
Yep - I've got a she devil too! I related absolutely to your post - and it's as you say when you manage to shut the she devil up and just do it you feel so damn good.
How's Toby doing? I remember when I lost Mitch our boxer, I worried about how Raz our lab/ridgeback would cope. In fact she slipped into being Lady Muck topdog as if she'd been born to it!
Hi from Brisbane... was just thinking about you losing Amber, and maybe when I get home I shall bring Izzy out to play with Toby every now and then, so he can play with another goldie... what do you think? Anhyway, not supposed to be on the computer long... certainly not supposed to be checking out other blogs... don't tell !!!
HEY I SAW THAT!! Chris you tart!! Where's my comment?? lol
Yep my she devil annoys me often. Maybe we should tell them to bugger off together!!
Totally know what you mean about 'tired but well earned tiredness' ... great feeling!
We've all got our she devils havent we? I go to a ladies gym and you are right, there are not grunters there at all. Maybe it is just a macho thing.
Hi,
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment on my blog.
I giggled at your post today about the grunters....they are so funny although I don't go to the gym but I know what you mean and yeah we do make less noice giving birth...so true! And the grunters go through a lot less pain lifting weights than we do when giving birth.
I read somewhere about an experiment where a man was put through the same pain as a women when giving birth and he fainted with the pain...not sure where on his anatomy or how they gave the pain..lol but it would have been somewhere and at the same intensity.
Men are a joke sometimes.
Hugs
I agree... I would have said to him that you didn't make so much noise in childbirth... sometimes these grunty men think it makes them look good... NUP!
You are sooo funny.
Love ya
Chubbymum
http://cmlosinit.blogspot.com
Ah yes, there's a she devil in my house too. Keep at it! I'm impressed.
Post a Comment